FS: Front air bag parts

M Darrah

Registered
I can't sleep, so...

These are parts from my aborted Koni conversion. I decided to go with new Ford bags instead and sell off the Konis. Yes, the Konis are long gone. These were bought from Jamie a few years ago as complete units, but I took them apart to do the Koni conversion. He said they were from a low miles car, but I never tested them, so I can't guarantee anything, and I'm offering everything cheap. If these prices still seem unreasonable, make me an offer. I just want this crap out of here.

First up is a pair of air bag "shells". I'll include the large O-rings for the bottom and all the hardware for the top (washers, etc., all re-plated), even though they're not shown in the pics. The small O-rings that go around the shock shaft are gone though. Note that one of the bags has a kind of nasty scar on the rubber (closeup below). Not sure if that happened before or after I bought them. The tops seem to be good, but I did notice some evidence of silicone sealant applied, not sure if it was from the factory or later. The tops can be removed and swapped though. Also note that the conical ends of the metal sleeve that the shock shaft goes through have some surface rust and need to be polished with a Dremel for a good seal with the O-rings.

These could be good replacements if your airbags are losing air but the shocks are OK.

NOTE: The solenoids and clips will NOT be included.

$40

airbags01.jpg

airbags02.jpg

airbags03.jpg

airbags04.jpg

airbags06a.jpg

airbags06b.jpg

The other part of this will be of no use to anyone unless you own a pair of the coveted (and impossible to find) Koni front inserts. In other words, these are probably going to end up in the trash. :frown-blue:

There's more work in these than meets the eye. Besides having the bolts welded to the bottom, I also had the guy weld collars to the tops of the tubes to give the Koni inserts a nice snug fit. If you've used the Konis you know that the inserts sort of wobble around at the top and require some silicone or something to keep them in place. With these collars, the inserts fit perfectly. He even turned the inside of the collars on a lathe, which I didn't ask for.

Finally, I had them electro-coated, not because it is the proper factory finish (it is), but to correct the mistake I made of having them powder coated. The thickness of the PC on the inside of the cups prevented the O-rings from fitting. Expensive lesson learned there. I should have just painted the stupid things.

Again, I never got the chance to test these things, so buyer beware, but I believe they should work very well. I'll include a pin spanner for screwing the Konis into these, since the top of the Konis sit almost flush but have holes on the end for a pin spanner.

Anyway, between the welding, collar fabrication and e-coating, I have a stupid amount of money invested in these, well over $200 not including the actual cost of the bags they came from.

Take them away from my sight!

$40

Sorry for the blurry closeups. I could barely see the screen of my phone in the sun. Nice detail of the parking lot surface though. ;)

airbags05.jpg

airbags07.jpg

airbags08.jpg

airbags09.jpg

Back