Sudden fuel problem.

Be2lose

In title only.
It came on really fast!! The car bucked several times and the the CE light came on. I drove home and I pulled the codes and came back lean on bank 1 and bank 2. I cleared codes and took it for a drive, it is not making the horsepower it should be. NO codes after about 20 miles, I will keep checking.

The fuel filter was changed about 20k ago, same with the plugs and a couple of the boots that were cracked.
Am i looking at a new fuel pump? Anyone have any other ideas?

You need a fuel pressure guage with a long hose and schrader valve connector. Connect it to the test port on the fuel rail and duct tape the guage to the windsheild on the passenger side. Take it for a ride with a passenger and have them observe the guage while you do some WOT pulls. The fuel pressure should stay at 40 psi under load.

ok so I tested it today 10psi. It would run ok at light to medium throttle but at WOT nothing. I took it to my mechanic and he first thought it was the pressure regulators because he said the pump will fail all at once not slowly. On my way home the car stopped running at the bottom of my driveway and will not restart.

I have a new filter, but the place the car is sitting would make it a very hard job.
the old filter has about 20k on it the car has about 103k.

Any Ideas??

I have a new filter, but the place the car is sitting would make it a very hard job.

The only makeshift solution I have heard of is to bang on the bottom side of the fuel tank at the passenger side. It may jolt the pump to run a bit more.

The filter likely isn't that bad that it would hold back fuel pressure to 10 psi. At least not in 20K miles unless you ran some nasty fuel through it.

Shop Manual calls for 30-45 Lbs with key on and engine running. Hope the bang on the bottom of the tank will get you to where you can get to the tank.

UP AND RUNNING!!!!!

The fuel pump had fallen apart. The screws that hold the line on came loose and are still in the tank, That's why it sounded like it was running ( well It was ) But not getting fuel to the engine.

Back