Carlisle for Beginners

Trixie

Staff member
Someone please help by providing more info on camping options!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was posted years ago, and I¡¦ve added revisions by others (OK, lots of stuff from Jason Z (Neontail97)):

First off, Preregister! The Club is going to again hand out goodie bags and have major prizes to give away to the first 25 cars that pre-register under the LOD Name. Pre-registration ends May 18.

I remembered what it was like going to Carlisle my first time and I know I had questions and forgot things I needed, and so the information below is to help those of you who are interested in coming, but need a little more information.

Please, if anyone has any other questions, or has any information to add here, do so. I am by no means an expert, but I tried to list things that I know I was unsure about last year.

I certainly hope a lot more people sign up to come out to Carlisle. It really is a great car show, and an excellent way to show support of our club, and meet other members.

My thanks to various people for helping with content or providing pictures, including, but not limited to: Alexander, Jerry Heep, Steve Triano, Bill Hamilton, & Jason Zerbini who had a lot of additional information which I am not trying to scam as my own¡K really. ƒº

Carlisle 101

Don¡¦t be afraid to come because your car is not show quality. A lot of members bring their daily drivers. It is just fun to park on the field with everyone else and hang out and chat and look at all the Fords. During the day, there are vendors to check out, LOD members to chat with and lots of Fords to see - every once in a while, you may even spot a Mustang!

What to Bring:

Change of clothes - warm and cold
Sun block
Lawn chair
Cooler
Car cleaning items
Funds to purchase all kinds of cool LOD gear

Food and drink (non-alcoholic) available at the Fairgrounds for a price. As for food; Carlisle Productions actually has pretty decent quality and selection of food at the main concession stand. You'll pay a tad more than at a local restaurant but not as much compared to lets say a pro baseball or football game.

What to Expect:

Traffic:

Be prepared to sit in major traffic jams if you are coming off the PA turnpike between 6:30am and 9:00am Saturday. Earlier and its not bad, later its not quite as bad but still alot of waiting. There are some back ways in that avoid the masses but you'd really need to study a map to find them if you are not familiar with the area. If you are arriving Saturday morning it would be worth your while to locate alternative routes.

Car Cleaning:

There is a place to wash cars once inside the gates at the fairground. Per Neontail: The car wash station is straight through GATE #3. There are stations to handle about 8 cars at any given time. 2 spaces share 1 hose which works out well. From my experience the wait is dependent on the weather. If there was rain for peoples drive in, then the wait will be longer. Nice weather and you can drive right up with no waiting. No matter its still not very long of a wait.

Where to enter:

http://www.ifounditatcarlisle.com/Di...directions.htm
Enter at Gate 3. Gate #3 is the only gate for show cars that need to register. They give you a sticker for your windshield after you register. Event staff are everywhere and will direct you to LOD.

How to register car:

Pull into main entrance, stay to the left
You will be directed to Park and to go to the tent area to sign up if you¡¦ve pre-registered
From there, you are sent to a the little building there to pick up your packet of information which usually contains some goodies and coupons and other info on the Carlisle event.

Don't forget your confirmation card they sent you if you pre registered. It will save you alot of time and hassle.

Find place on field - Park with your category, signs will be posted. You can always ask for help, but last year we were towards the grandstands on the left side and I hope we are there again.

Club Events:

On Friday evening we will be going to Market Cross Pub, which is a short walk from the Comfort Suites where many of us will be staying.

On Saturday evening, the Club will be hosting a Banquet and Awards Ceremony at the Sunnyside on Hanover, a short drive from the Comfort Suites.

Friday June 5 (7:30) at the Market Cross Pub. They will put us in the same room as last year. We can have separate checks and order from the menu if under 20 show up (I think we had 18 last year). If 20 or more show up, they expect us to eat from their buffet.

Saturday June 6 (7:30) at the Sunnyside Restaurant. Again, we'll have the same room as last year. We will have separate checks and order from the menu. There will be a table for the trophies. Rene' set it up as 20-25 members, but we can add tables in this room. We encourage all members to come if you want to, even if you decide on Saturday at the show.

Many of us will be staying at the Comfort Suites:
Comfort Suites (PA266)
10 S. Hanover Street , Carlisle, PA, US, 17013
Phone: (717) 960-1000
Fax: (717) 960-1010

but you do not have to be staying there to join us. My first year, I stayed at a Holiday Inn and just drove to the "main" hotel to join the group for evening activities. This hotel has an outside patio which was used last year to host my b-day celebration.

Pics from Prior Carlisles:

http://community.webshots.com/album/19677221YgaAsDBGWT

http://community.webshots.com/album/39742843dzSDDO

http://communities.msn.com/Carlisle2001LOD/shoebox.msnw

http://groups.msn.com/Carlisle2001LOD/carlisle2002.msnw

Links to pics from 2008:

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21776

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21711

http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21599

I really hope to see a lot of you there!

Please ask questions or add info so this can be updated, as senility set in last year. (I was, after all 87).

Thanks guys.

Oh, I don't know that we'll be getting those cards in the mail this year from Carlisle Events.

Also, each registration allows you and one guest free entrance to the show every day.

And, generally, if you want any (amazing) products from Leo, contact him prior to the show so he knows what to bring.

The LOD gets a decent size tent with a table, and I think I usually bring a folding picnic table (thank you Marlboro), but we never seem to have enough chairs. BTW, everyone is welcome to hang out in the tent, and guests are also welcome at all our events. Large coolers make for good seating while also keeping our drinks nice and cold.

I don't know much about the camping, I just bring my tent and stay in the field outside one of the gates. I think it's gate 6.

It used to be a field run by the volunteer firemen, but last year that was closed. The field across the street was open for camping last year. I never did find anyone to pay then.:)

I've never made reservations or stayed at the campsight inside the fairgrounds. There are showers anyone can use though.:D

Pre-Register! :)

Don't expect to see everything. Every Ford imaginable is there in force. If this is your first time, you've never seen anything like it.

There are vendors galore and a huge parts swap area to satisfy most any gearhead. Even a large area for vehicles for sale, including everything from resto-projects to private collector vehicles ready to sign and drive. The entire place is huge and will wear you out (in a good way). There are lots of events throughout each day. You'll get a schedule of planned events when you get your credentials at the registrant area when you first enter.

Saturday is the most important day to plan to be there if you can't be there the entire weekend. The participant voting takes place that day and LOD members also vote for club trophies to be awarded at the banquet Saturday evening. Showfield winners are tabulated and available Sunday morning. There is a 'winners parade' Sunday afternoon. Winners are encouraged to participate but you will need to enter your car in the reserved area by a certain time.

Most of all, take it easy and relax and enjoy yourself! Bring a camera and take lots of pictures! Spend some time at the LOD tent to take a refreshment break or just hang out all day. ;)

Back