Possible Alternator replacement

black97lsc

Registered
Well, I think my alternator has gone bad. I plan on taking it to Advance Auto to have it and the battery tested. Yesterday I decided to wax the car so I ended up moving it twice. The first time I started it, it started fine, I didn't notice anything at all. I started it a second time after it had been sitting about an hour and noticed it cranked slow but still started. The third time it didn't start, I just heard the starter/relay click.

I've read through some alternator threads and I'm wondering: if it turns out I do need an alternator, which one should I buy? What have you guys gone with and are satisfied?

I've read the standard AutoZone/Napa/Advance stuff fails but you get to replace it for free in a parking lot that you've been stranded at.... :rolleyes:

I've read good things about PA Performance but they seem to be the most expensive by far.

I've inquired about the alternators from Torrie (reman Ford) and they seem very reasonable but only a 12 month warranty.

Finally, anyone buy from DB Electronics on ebay? They have really good feedback, are new and are priced about where the chain auto parts places charge for remanufactured.

I don't need the car to get to work so I can wait a week for parts to get to me so that's not a concern. Any feedback is welcome!

Mine did the same thing day before yesterday....while cleaning inside of the car I mistakenly turned on the lights AND I had the radio playing at high volume....I too got - click -click- click. Put the charger on it for a few minutes and it started fine....took it on a drive for about 30 minutes...all okay now.

Last edited:
Don't overlook the simple stuff. Check the battery, but also check the cables and ends.

I bought a reman alternator for my 93 3+years ago. Bought it at O'Reilly. I simply asked for the higher amp model from a 96 LSC and haven't had a problem since. Maybe I got lucky.

I should have taken the advice I was first given here and that is if you have the OEM unit have it rebuilt by a good shop. I went with the NAPA one and had to replace it in a few weeks.

Mine did the same thing day before yesterday....while cleaning inside of the car I mistakenly turned on the lights AND I had the radio playing at high volume....I too got - click -click- click. Put the charger on it for a few minutes and it started fine....took it on a drive for about 30 minutes...all okay now.

This has happened to me on my Mustang, playing the radio while washing the car and had it not start afterwards. The thing is that I didn't have anything on in the car since I was doing this in the garage and watching the Cubs bullpen blow up in Atlanta (Tuesday)....but that's another story. :rolleyes:

The battery cables look good, no corrosion at all and fit snug. I figured that this may be the original alternator that it may have let go. I'll have to get it tested.....when I can get a ride to the parts store. :frown:

So I've taken the alternator to two separate places to get tested and it passed both tests. The battery has also passed the tests.
I charged the battery and reinstalled the alternator and ran it. Seems fine and I took some voltage readings with my DMM at the battery.

Off = 12.3 volts
At idle with no accessories on = 13.3 volts to 13.5 volts
At idle with most accessories on (Max A/C, Headlights, stereo, heated seats on and rear defrost) = 12.2 volts - 12.5 volts with a momentary dip to 11.9 volts.

I've driven around and its running well. No problems. I almost wish the alternator tested bad to replace it and have peace of mind. Now I feel like maybe I have something else going on.

Recently my car had a problem similar to this, i thought it was the alternator also, i checked the cables and the car idled around 13v, i put the vantage on it and drove it and found out that after i drove it it was droping down to 12v. I got my alternator from NAPA about 4 years ago and since then have been thought 5 of them so make sure you have the lifetime warranty. The problem that seens to happen to mine is the regulators go out.

Thanks for the messages guys. I checked the connections and everything seems good. Its the original alt so no warranty. At least I found a local place that will rebuild my original alt instead of buying a cheapo made in china one.

I didn't mention it because I've done this so many times, but in between moving the car, I left the key in the ignition. I don't think it was in the "on" position, maybe "accessories" but I didn't have the radio on. Would having the key in this position for about an hour to an hour and a half really drain the battery that much? The battery has to be less than 2 years old. Die Hard Gold. I've never had an problems with having the radio on while sitting in the car for 30-40 minutes in "accessories" mode.
Maybe just a funny Lincoln occurrence. :p

You mentioned starting the car to move it a few times.. The starter draws a *lot* of power, and if you just ran the engine briefly, the alternator wouldn't have enough time to recharge the battery. Also, "accessory" turns on the info center display and powers up a lot of other stuff, so 90 minutes of that certainly wouldn't help. I've drained batteries in similar situations. I'd suggest recharging the battery and then driving the car for a half-hour or so. If you don't have any problems, the alternator is fine.

I recharged the battery fully and no problems now. I even gave some guy a jump start last week (I felt bad for him) and its still fine. I think I'll just be more careful and not leave the key in the ignition. :)

Back