Blackwood's under $20k now....mmmmm

RE: Blackwood's under $20k now....mmmmm

Emm well, it is a 2wd Navigator without a shell in the back. I don't have much respect for that truck especially because it only comes in 2wd. Cadillac EXTs are much better in my opinion, but they cost around $30 used. If you like this truck, then sure why not. The only selling point would be it's relative rarity and looks.
Btw 12 City and 17 highway as well as Premium Gas is a huge expense, unless this is going to be a weekend truck.

It's a lincoln. When am i going to have it in 4wd?

It's lower than the navi, so it drives much better. That is also why they had to take out the 4wd.

I just think of it as a large towncar.

Why not get a 2004 of lease towncar then? It is going to be just as big on the inside, better gas milage, cheap to maintain and newer. A truck is supposed to have 4x4 so that it can go better through snow, mud blah blah, and a truck is supposed to tow, if you're doing neither I don't see why you're getting this thing.

[div class="dcquote"][strong]Quote[/strong]
Why not get a 2004 of lease towncar then? It is going to be just as big on the inside, better gas milage, cheap to maintain and newer. A truck is supposed to have 4x4 so that it can go better through snow, mud blah blah, and a truck is supposed to tow, if you're doing neither I don't see why you're getting this thing.
[/div]

I pretty much agree on the truck philosophy. I never did care much for what I call the 'city trucks'. I can pick nearly any truck of my choice at work(as long as it's a Ford), and I drive a '02 F250 SuperDuty PowerStroke Diesel 4WD, six-speed manual transmission with manual transfer case and manual hubs. Compare that to some of the newer ones in the fleet such as F150's with 5.4L gas V8, all the trimmings including pushbutton 4WD.

Don't get me wrong, the Blackwoods are NICE. I test drove one once and was really impressed but it was way out of my price range and to be honest, the lack of 4WD hurt sales in my neck of the woods. Navi's were going out the door right and left with almost never seeing a Blackwood when they were available.

Now TownCars, that's a horse of a different color. "Big on the inside, better gas milage, cheap to maintain and newer." I agree whole-heartedly on each point. It may be premature to judge, but my '02 TC is one of the better choices I've made for a vehicle.

But if you still want a Lincoln pickup, IMHO hibernate another couple years and get a low mileage used Mark LT. Yeah I know it's a gussied up F150, but it is a Lincoln, it is a pickup and it is 4WD. You can get the new Mark LT as cheap or cheaper than the F250 King Ranch package and IMHO it's a more refined 'luxury' pickup. I think a couple years or more with typical Lincoln depreciation, they will be best buys. :)

John,
I am with you on the Mark LTs they are way more truck for the money than the blackwood :7 . I just figured he was looking for something in the 20k range.

yeah, most trucks are 2wd. And yeah they are kinda missing the point.

I drive a mark and get enough "old people car" remarks. A TC would be a nice ride, but it's not a car i will ever buy. i dont need a truck. If i did, i wouldn't be looking at blackwoods. There is a trunk on the thing, not a bed.

There a bound to be tons of bugs with a 1 yr production car, but the M8 has more than prepared me for lincoln repairs... I've spent thousands on ford engineering repairs, yet i still <3 the damn car.

Maybe this is a topic better suited for navi owners elswhere...

I think perhaps you misinterpreted my reply. I'm an advocate for buying what YOU want, I was just giving MY thoughts.

If you don't need a 'truck'(most people w/ pickups don't BTW), by all means get a nice Blackwood if that's your preference.

I've always thought they would be great for tailgate parties at football games. :D

Dude i agree with jp. if YOU like it and You want it and You can afford it then by allmeans go for it. i for one love the black wood but cant afford to get another toy right now. as for the truck thing anyone who wants/ needs a truck is going to buy an f series unit if they are a ford guy no one who needs a truck is going to buy one with a lincoln symbol not even the lt i dont see many people hauling 4x8 pieces of lumber and rock in an lt either.
go get your self the blackwood and enjoy it period

The blackwoods are cool and certianly unique. I think they would have done a lot better with an option of a more useful bed and 4x4. How much can a blackwood tow?

I got the navigator myself, because i wanted 4x4 and the extra room. I paid about $22k for one with 41k miles on it. It's a nice truck, i like it a lot. It's comfortable, as fast as it needs to be, and it tows my boat great. Could use more wheelbase when towing, though.

One thing that bothers me is the shocks. I put bilstiens on the rear, they helped a lot, but with the air suspension i can't get good aftermarket shocks for the front. I'm stuck with the stockers, and i don't know if new stock shocks will be any better than the ones that are on there now. The front end likes to keep bouncing after hitting a big dip on the highway. The rear used to do the same until i put the bilstiens back there.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but Dave check your end links on the front. They are well known for breaking loose. I have no bouncing problems with mine.

As for the blackwood, That cover you see on the back only lifts a few feet. That really hinders your ability to haul things in the bed.

As for the blackwood, That cover you see on the back only lifts a few feet. That really hinders your ability to haul things in the bed.
[/div]

Yeah, and you can't sit on the tailgate. :7

That cover you see on the back only lifts a few feet. That really hinders your ability to haul things in the bed.
[/div]

it's a trunk, not a bed

I recently purchased a Blackwood after my tbird was stolen. I was actually looking for either a Mark VIII or Maurader but I was unable to find what I was looking for. I was searching on the net and this kind of fell on my lap. I remember in 02 when they first came out and thought it was an awesome vehicle. The major selling point for me was how rare and unique this vehicle is. So far so good, I love the way it drives, has power, and my family loves it. When I had my TBird I new alot about the engine, the tranny, and all the mods available. Can anyone let me know of a resource where I can learn more about performance upgrades for this vehicle (chip, exhaust, air filter, lowering suspension, etc)? I would greatly appreciate it. :)

I saw a Blackwood on the road two days ago. It is a rare sighting of a beautiful truck. The pickup bed lighting is impressive on that truck. It is more of a weekend show vehicle, as that pickup bed was not designed for rough hauling.

I have never paid much attention to them when they cameout, but I like the front grille design in those pics. Classy and upscale for sure. I don't like the stripes on the box though. It should be all gloss black IMOP. It's a very elegant truck and looks comfortable inside. I like it, but would be afraid to mess it up or scratch it like I use a truck. If you can afford it, I say go for it.

haha

haha

Yeah, and you can't sit on the tailgate. :7[/quote]

Second that vote, it's fired. haha You guys can sit on my tailgate. And well all look at the Blackwood and drink beers. :cool:

I think the Blackwood would make a good "truck" for putting in the garage for 30-40 years and then take it to shows for best in class. I would drive a navigator, but not a blackwood.

Back