Shift Knob Button, stuck in its hole.

TimKustom

Registered
Sorry haven’t been around lately, but thought I’d check in since I’ve got small issue with the Lincoln.

As the title says, has anybody else had this problem? The only way to get the button to “come out” is to bang your hand on the top of the shifter until it slowly inches out.

Took the knob off, and examined it to see what could be causing it to bind. Saw some minor injection pin marks and mold lines (from manufacturing) that I sanded and polished out. Still sticking.

Next up, I wanted to put some graphite in it, didn’t have any, so while trying to find a substitute came across some “ahem”... “personal lubricant.” :eek: That made it a little better, but it’s still sticking.

Got some graphite now, gotta clean it out and see if that helps. Otherwise I think it's gonna need a stronger spring to pop the button out.

Any other ideas?

TIA

I think you are the virgin here on this problem.... Be sure to let the rest of us know what finally works. I would have tried silicone spray instead of , ahem, what you used!!!

Thanks Bud,

Though about the silicone spray. Used it on my Monte Carlo window tracks. Stunk up the car for months, that's why I didn't use it here.

BTW, I fully expect this thread to go downhill pretty fast. ;)

You might stretch the spring some to increase the pressure. If you do it like I would, I would stretch the spring waaaaay too far and when the button poppped out it would end up under the drivers seat... lol Of course, that would only happen if you had traffic blocked until you could retrive the button and reinstall it.

Thanks Bud,

Though about the silicone spray. Used it on my Monte Carlo window tracks. Stunk up the car for months, that's why I didn't use it here.

BTW, I fully expect this thread to go downhill pretty fast. ;)

Oh, that's the propellant...i just went into the shop and spritzed a little out of my can. Not much ventilation in there, but it wasn't THAT bad....I got mine at NAPA (branded NAPA product) and I wouldn't be afraid to use it inside the Lincoln...I WOULD open both windows tho for a while!

You might stretch the spring some to increase the pressure. If you do it like I would, I would stretch the spring waaaaay too far and when the button poppped out it would end up under the drivers seat... lol Of course, that would only happen if you had traffic blocked until you could retrive the button and reinstall it.

Yeah, I stretched the spring, it felt pretty weak. Think a spring in a BIC pen is stronger...Even looked for something to shorten the hole where the spring goes.

And that's all I need, a lubed up shifter button flying out, just as I'm about to shift out of reverse...:(

I wouldn't be suprised if this spring and the springs that pops the rear hatch on our 2000 Cougar weren't made at the same place. You hit the button to unlatch it and you might have 3 seconds to lift the hatch or you have to rehit the button. Stretched those too, didn't help...:mad:

BUD: I have the CRC stuff and it does stink to high heaven. Real slick stuff though, doesn't come off your hands easily though...(please don't ask). :D

Hopefully I can "play with my knob" when I get home, I should have all kinds of lube to try....:eek: :eek: :eek:

Here's an update...

Cleaned out the "mess" inside of the knob. Filled it up with graphite, worked button over real good. Still sticking. :mad:

Next up: Cleaned out mess #2, filled up with silicone lube, felt a little better but still sticking. :mad: :mad:

And then...Cleaned out mess #3, sanded/polished the button mold lines even further, added about a 3/16" thin-wall aluminum tube spacer to the spring seat (any more would not allow the button to "bottom out" to allow for reassembly on the shift stick), then re-apply silicone lube.

Now it only takes a "bump" to get the button to pop out. :mad: :mad: :mad:

A bit of back story on this ordeal... First time I noticed it doing this was when the car sat out in the hot sun for several hours, last summer. Only did it once or twice and only took a "bump" to pop it out. Otherwise no problems.

Thanks for letting me vent. Really getting the urge to go cruising...:rolleyes:

Have you given any thought to dipping the tines that hold the button in, in very hot water (not quite boiling) and spreading just a touch and then letting them cool before reinstalling them?? Thats how I fixed the parking brake release button on my Supercoupe.

This would probably be easier...

!BSoGc4wB2k~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLluvvMBKEIR,bvbw~~_1.JPG

well if that do not work,just use some KY gel lol

Yeah, the "His and Hers" formula. "His" for the button and "Hers" for the hole. When they meet, you'll be shifting like a pro.

BTW, if anyone is curious, the wife and I tried that stuff and she experienced a severe burning, to the point of tears.

Sorry for hijacking, and the abundance of "information", but those products were mentioned a few times already.

Thanks for the link JP, and for the "information" from the others...:D

I saw that one and a few others and that one looked like it was in the best shape. It's on its way and hopefully I won't be disappointed. Just need the knob, but it's always good to have some spare parts for these things.

Will report back, hopefully after a cruize. :cool:

Back