Summer AutoFest July 12 Hicksville NY

LeoC2

Registered
Next Sunday July 12 is the Summer AutoFest in Hicksville, NY. This is the show I organize and run every year for my Knights of Columbus Council. Last year we had 365+ cars and estimate 2000 spectators. This year it promises to be even bigger with a food court, great vendors, a craft fair, live music, and great trophies. All proceeds are used for the charitable and benevolent programs of the Knights of Columbus.

We're also honoring J.T. Freeman, an original Tuskegee Airman with a custom trophy and an oil portrait of him when he was a young airman.

We are also the very first local show in the USA to receive a sponsorship from Carlisle Events under their new pilot program. We're the test bed, if it goes well they'll be doing others.

So if anyone within range is looking for a good show for next Sunday... this is it!

Full details here: www.dftowel.com/kcshow

rack.jpg

Looks like you have a lot of great sponsors there . . . it sure sounds like fun! Good luck, and I hope you'll post pictures!

Do you think it's even worth taking the ferry, I just looked at a map, it doesn't look that far out on LI.

Where is Steve? he still owns a MK right?
I'm e-mailing him...

Who else can we get in on this? :D

I better fire up ye' olde Saxmobile the IV, then give it a bath...
maybe not in that order...
I wonder if the A/C still works...

:D -J

I emailed Steve a while back, I think he's in the Philippines if I remember correctly.

The show is about 25 miles from the Throgs Neck Bridge but that 25 miles added to the CT traffic can be a real bitch. The ferry is by far the best way coming from the Cape. I take it all the time to CT, saves a lot of time and aggravation. You can take either the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson or the New London-Orient Point. THe Orient Point is probably the better one for you.

Let me know by Friday if anyone here is coming, I'll set some space aside so everyone can park together. I have a map of the show site now available on the web site... www.dftowel.com/kcshow

Last edited:
Steve is far far away... :rolleyes:

Ok, save me a spot, I've leaving for NY today, probably hang around Brooklyn, Queens and the city, then head over to LI Sun... what time should I be looking to arrive? please say mid afternoon :D

Also, is there a car wash near the show? and ice? the cooler is packed, but I'm sure I will need to top off the ice... :D

Ok, save me a spot, I've leaving for NY today, probably hang around Brooklyn, Queens and the city, then head over to LI Sun... what time should I be looking to arrive? please say mid afternoon :D

Also, is there a car wash near the show? and ice? the cooler is packed, but I'm sure I will need to top off the ice... :D

If you want to be considered in the judging you have to be registered by 11:30, otherwise you can come anytime you want. We plan to start giving out the awards around 3:30 so if you want to hang and have a good time and see all the cars and vendors you should plan on arriving by 1:00PM.

There's a couple of car washes nearby and plenty of convenient stores and ice places. However... Joe... one of the restrictions Sears placers on us (they give us the space for free) is NO ALCOHOL. So if you do bring any (silly question ain't it?) be sure it's well hidden and disguised.

If you want to be considered in the judging you have to be registered by 11:30, otherwise you can come anytime you want. We plan to start giving out the awards around 3:30 so if you want to hang and have a good time and see all the cars and vendors you should plan on arriving by 1:00PM.

There's a couple of car washes nearby and plenty of convenient stores and ice places. However... Joe... one of the restrictions Sears placers on us (they give us the space for free) is NO ALCOHOL. So if you do bring any (silly question ain't it?) be sure it's well hidden and disguised.

Hmmm... I never thought about having DTSax judged... think I should?

What time will you be getting there?

And... guess I'll buy some "classic LOD" red Dixie cups... :D

Hey leo, I just wanted to wish you all the best on your show ;) I hope the roads will be dry at 6:30 in the morning....this damn rain is supposed to be hard over night:mad:

I'll be there at 6:30. Matt (Squirrel) is coming also.

I think we all know... there is a much greater chance of aerial swine acrobatics then me being there at 6:30 in the morning... :D

However, I'm trying to call it an early night... it's only 11 right now... :D
and yes I got good and drunk tonight, so I'd be looking and feeling my best for you guys tomorrow :D

WOW... all I can say is WOW! We had close to 500 cars entered and a huge attendance. We actually began running out of room around 11:00AM. BadSax and Squirrel were there and had a good time, Joe's ever-present Caddy-trunk cooler came in handy as we were closing up... man those first two beers went down fast.

The show was so big that next year we'll be more than doubling our space.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I recover!

WOW... all I can say is WOW! We had close to 500 cars entered and a huge attendance. We actually began running out of room around 11:00AM. BadSax and Squirrel were there and had a good time, Joe's ever-present Caddy-trunk cooler came in handy as we were closing up... man those first two beers went down fast.

The show was so big that next year we'll be more than doubling our space.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I recover!

Ok, the Leo Show kicked ass... :D

What a great time! :D
Some oddities that I thought were kinda funny... The Long Island Cadillac and LaSalle Club (or whatever their name is) wanted nothing to do with me. I made several attempts to hang out with them, since I brought DTSax and parked right in the middle of them, with no success... I couldn't have paid people to drink a beer, you would have thought I was trying to give away medical waste. All the people who weren't affiliated with the Cadillac club were very friendly, and I thought DTSax was looking pretty good, I got some nice feedback on it.

I arrived at 10AM (actually 9:30, but it took me about 1/2 hour to find a car wash etc.) and by the time I got there the line to register was nearly 1/4 mile long, I was car 179 @ 10... :D By the afternoon there were cars everywhere, I tried to take pics of everything that was worth taking pictures of. With the exception of frequent trips back to CaddySax for a beer refill, and stopping to talk with people (it is me after all) just walking around to see everything took almost 4 hours...

I also couldn't get anyone to even give me the slightest little bit of wheel spin at the end. There was one guy in a Impala SS who gave me a nice one, but I was so passed the point of trying to video people that I didn't catch it.

I'll post some pics :D

Joe was actually at the lot exit trying to pay people $1 to do burnouts and nobody took him up on it! Bunch of duds!

Post those pictures! I have very few, mostly from the roof. I was too busy to eat or take many shots. I went to bed Sun. night at about 9PM and didn't wake until 1:30 the next afternoon. I actually slept for over 16 hours!

Sounds like the 'ol LOD was showing the world how to party, yet again. I wish I could have been there!

Back