Wheel Bearings

Rene

Lincoln Lady
I had to have my LF wheel hub replaced before heading to Carlisle, because my alignment shop discovered I had a bad wheel bearing at less than 54,000 miles. Fortunately, Brad was able to fix it ;)

Is it unusual to have this problem at such mileage, or is it another "Mark Thing" where I missed seeing a board discussion?

I do NOT think it's usual.....it may be more of a NOT used enough problem than overused or "normal". Less than 5,000 miles a year on a car is a LOT of just sitting.....

Usually when a wheel bearing goes bad early like that it's from a bad inner seal. Once water or dirt gets in the bearing, it wears out faster than normal.

I had a replacement hub wear out early because of that, the bearing was full of rust.

Usually when a wheel bearing goes bad early like that it's from a bad inner seal. Once water or dirt gets in the bearing, it wears out faster than normal.

I had a replacement hub wear out early because of that, the bearing was full of rust.

Brad says mine was dirty and rusty too, now that he thinks of it . . .

Bill hit the problem on the head. If the seal integrity was compromised, you could develope a problem as these units are sealed for life. Most cases it is due to water, i.e. going thru deep water, or something of that nature. Generally these bearings are good for nearly 100,000 miles (quality ones)

Ford didn't design them they were developed by the Bearing companies, and went to the sealed for life feature due to too many bearing failures caused by over zealous grease monkeys that over filed the bearing with grease and burst the seals. All the big three went to them, GM even owned the plant that made them for them at one time.

Ford didn't design them they were developed by the Bearing companies, and went to the sealed for life feature due to too many bearing failures caused by over zealous grease monkeys that over filed the bearing with grease and burst the seals. All the big three went to them, GM even owned the plant that made them for them at one time.
Maybe they should have held onto that company..... :p

i replaced my frt bearings at 108k. Easiest bearings i ever changed. took less then 10 minutes.
Aren't they great?? A lot easier than pulling off the spindle of my old Explorer 4x4. For the record, what was the size of the socket you used on the big axle/spindle nut?

Back