Blackouts

Does anyone make rear blackouts for a gen 1?

Nope...it's DIY or find a shop to do it custom.

I tried DIY with poor results (I've got a thread with pics here somewhere). Initially it looked good, but the coating I used quickly washed/wore off.

I got a quote from a shop to have them apply a film for $300.

Is that like nite shades? I know the nite shades washes off after awhile

Not that I know of. I know a couple local cars that have had good experiences with Lamin-x. They have pre-cut pieces for the more popular late model cars but you can order 'rolls' of material in lengths needed for most applications.

Even if it needed replaced every year or two, it's not cost prohibitive.

I talked to a guy over in philly who has a black mark with the lamin-x blackout tail lights. They were done by a local shop and were 6 months old. I might do it eventually, but i'm trying to keep it factory to avoid the cops attention. lol

I talked to a guy over in philly who has a black mark with the lamin-x blackout tail lights. They were done by a local shop and were 6 months old. I might do it eventually, but i'm trying to keep it factory to avoid the cops attention. lol

Huh?

Any black on the tail lights is illegal. We had this discussion with our resident CHP officer Jesse.

My guess is that most cops won't waste their time with it...they have better things to do. However, if they pull you over for breaking some other law, they may go ahead and pile it on if you give them a hard time.

In most states, anything over the rear lamps is illegal.

Lamin-X sells a smoke colored film as well as a darker 'blackout' film. I've actually thought of doing the '96 with it. Just not sure which of the two would be best.

My original plan was to black out the chrome trim with black inserts in my the wheels. I thought might complete the look

Nope...it's DIY or find a shop to do it custom.

I tried DIY with poor results (I've got a thread with pics here somewhere). Initially it looked good, but the coating I used quickly washed/wore off.

I got a quote from a shop to have them apply a film for $300.
Any one saying they are going to pay $300 is crazy, no offense. We have a guy in the shop next door that uses the spray on and it looks amazing and lasts forever. He only charges us $30 each tail light which we resell at $60 per. The spray on has the advantage of doing a light coat so it looks smoked and not blacked out which is my preference.

Any one saying they are going to pay $300 is crazy, no offense. We have a guy in the shop next door that uses the spray on and it looks amazing and lasts forever. He only charges us $30 each tail light which we resell at $60 per. The spray on has the advantage of doing a light coat so it looks smoked and not blacked out which is my preference.

No offense taken...I agree that number seems high. I have a feeling that the lamin-x stuff that I was quoted is a mis-application, as these films were initially intended to provide physical protection to headlights. They can be used for tail lights, but it is overkill - the tail lights don't need protection.

The NyteShade (?) spray is the stuff that washed away. I'm guessing your colleague uses something entirely different? Too bad you are too far away to do it for me - shipping the single piece Mark taillight isn't very easy or cheap.

Do you know anyone in the LA area that do this kind of thing?

ill check today.

My wife sometimes has these good ideas - like today.

She recommended recoating my taillights using the NiteShade tint spray and putting a coat of veri- or polyeurethane over that to make it permanent. Why didn't I think of that?

A very cheap idea that I will be trying in the next few days. I'll post on my results.

My other car is an '88 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, i separated the taillight housings/lenses and sprayed a few coats of nightshades on the inside, put em back together and the colour of the lenses matches the dark maroon body colour. The tail/brake lights look like they shine a brighter red than before too, looks very crisp. Wonder if the mark's lights would be hard to split?

Back