Is it just me...

calisonic

Registered
or are the majority of people who hate American cars the kind of people who know nothing about cars or mechanical things in general, and the majority of people who hate imports people who tend to be more mechanically inclined?

or are the majority of people who hate American cars the kind of people who know nothing about cars or mechanical things in general, and the majority of people who hate imports people who tend to be more mechanically inclined?

You mean the amazing GM that ran itself into the ground costing the american tax payers billions of dollars?
What is there to love... ?

I am VERY fond of Ford though. They are on the right track.

Sadly I own one from the big 3...

The ford was the most reliable. My crown is at at 208k miles still ticking :) Corvette was one of the least reliable cars I have had.

I wouldn't say the majority of those who prefer imports are mechanically challenged (unless your trying to say its mostly those who purchase fords do so because they can actually fix them.) From my experience working on the Mark and my previous Grand Marquise and current town car, ford seems to love cutting corners when possible. This trend kept going for some time starting in the mid nineties and progressively gotten worse. Now im not talking about interior wise (because we all know they've been cutting corners for years) but mechanically as well.

I think a good number of recent import owners have been betrayed by either ford's declining quality or sub par dealership satisfaction at one point or another (including myself.)

Now its not fair to compare my Lexus cars (we have 4 in the house now) to the list above, since they are in different price markets, but i will tell you that i really gave up on ford years ago. I never thought this day would come, but im truly happy ford has taken a HUGE step to correct its problems and come back competitively with great cars. I sure hope they keep doing whatever it is they are currently doing to turn things around, because at the previous pace, i didn't think i would ever buy another domestic car.

Last edited:
I know some perceive that the engineering is always better in a foreign car, and that always equals better reliability.

Others see quite a bit of snob appeal in driving something foreign in the luxury segment (vs domestic).

That's my experience around where I live, anyway ;)

I have a love for both foreign and domestic, but it's for the performance vehicles . . . all completely out of my price range. I love performance coupes especially :D

Back