Brake performance

calisonic

Registered
Is it just me or do the stock brakes in the '98 VIII's see a little sub par?

It's just that my '93 F-150 stopped a lot better and it didn't have any towing package or anything like that just front disc rear drum. Where the mark has 4 wheel disc.

I had them looked at when it was being aligned and they are in good condition, I know the pads and front rotors are new.

Is this normal or what?

Brakes suck for a car this size. The Rotors are small also.

Upgrading to 13" mustang cobra rotors improves performance quite a bit.

Besides that when was your brake fluid last changed?

Brakes suck for a car this size. The Rotors are small also.

Upgrading to 13" mustang cobra rotors improves performance quite a bit.

Besides that when was your brake fluid last changed?

Do those fit without any mods from stock?

Haven't done it since I got the car, but it doesn't look too bad.

I should been a little more clear.

You will need new cobra calipers ($200 or so for the set)
and
13" cobra rotors. $150-200 for a nice set.
And
You'd have to get a machine shop to re'drill your rotors from a 5x4.5 bolt pattern to 5x4.25 ($50)

I should been a little more clear.

You will need new cobra calipers ($200 or so for the set)
and
13" cobra rotors. $150-200 for a nice set.
And
You'd have to get a machine shop to re'drill your rotors from a 5x4.5 bolt pattern to 5x4.25 ($50)

That's not bad!
Max are you available for an install party, Maybe we could even get J here.

That's not bad!
Max are you available for an install party, Maybe we could even get J here.

hehe I am wrenching on one too many things at the moment.

3-4 cars and 1 motorcycle. But I'd be willing to offer up my learnings throughout time :D

hehe I am wrenching on one too many things at the moment.

3-4 cars and 1 motorcycle. But I'd be willing to offer up my learnings throughout time :D

OK, maybe later. My main job right now is getting my 57 back on the road anyway.

Get that motorcycle running and come up for a visit. I'll also invite the CHP to keep everything in control!!

Go simple and cheap first and get high quality pads.

I went with EBC Greenstuff and they stop with half the pedal effort and zero fade. If that isn't enough for you, you can go ahead and install the bigger brake kit.

Go simple and cheap first and get high quality pads.

I went with EBC Greenstuff and they stop with half the pedal effort and zero fade. If that isn't enough for you, you can go ahead and install the bigger brake kit.

It was my understanding that ceramics were the best pads. But I've never used organic ones.

It was my understanding that ceramics were the best pads. But I've never used organic ones.

Now your into the "...what is your goal..." with brakes discussion.

Ceramics are the best pads...as far as noise, dust, and fading are concerned. They are the quintiscential "Lincoln" brake pad. They lack in the friction and short stopping (pre-fade braking) departments though.

Organics make a lot of dust, might fade from an emergency stop from 80 mph, but have very good friction and initial pedal feel.

A good compromise is a ceramic-organic composite, like EBC Greenstuff and others. EBC is ceramic-kevlar. The ceramic makes the brakes very quiet and impervious to brake fade, and the kevlar provides great friction and excellent pedal feel - like you just installed a new master cylinder. They do generate a fair amount of dust however...you'd need to clean your wheels about once a week.

Soooo...if you are a moderate driver who wants the comfort and cleanliness, go for pure ceramic. If you are an aggressive driver who doesn't mind doing some cleaning, go for a composite. Leave the pure organic pads to the auto-cross guys.

...A good compromise is a ceramic-organic composite, like EBC Greenstuff and others. EBC is ceramic-kevlar. The ceramic makes the brakes very quiet and impervious to brake fade, and the kevlar provides great friction and excellent pedal feel - like you just installed a new master cylinder. They do generate a fair amount of dust however...you'd need to clean your wheels about once a week.

I do that anyways:D

Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the info, unfortunately the current pads, (which I believe are semi-metals from a dealership) are still very thick and I can't really justify throwing them away just yet.

BTW: are those EBC Greenstuff's only available online? I can't seem to find them at local parts houses, and the description of the site I saw them on says the are just organic, not part ceramic (probly their fault).

Last edited:
I do that anyways:D

Sounds like a good deal, thanks for the info, unfortunately the current pads, (which I believe are semi-metals from a dealership) are still very thick and I can't really justify throwing them away just yet.

BTW: are those EBC Greenstuff's only available online? I can't seem to find them at local parts houses, and the description of the site I saw them on says the are just organic, not part ceramic (probly their fault).

I haven't seen them in stores either - I just get them online.

And it looks like they have eliminated all of the ceramic in their green formula...I got them when they had ceramic in them. They've been changing their formulas a lot lately. My next set of pads will be yellowstuff.

Perhaps you could clue me in on where to get those? Couldn't find a site.

autoanything.com has all four colors of pads, but you would need to look them up by part number rather than vehicle model...they only list the first four pads below for Mark VIII's...not sure why.

DP21164 EBC Greenstuff Street Sport; Disc Pads; Rear;
DP21168 EBC Greenstuff Street Sport; Disc Pads; Front;
UD598 EBC Ultimax Pad Set; Disc Pads; Front;
UD599 EBC Ultimax Pad Set; Disc Pads; Rear;
DP41166R EBC High Friction (yellowstuff) Upgrade And Race; Disc Pads; Front;
DP31166C EBC Redstuff Low Dust Superstreet; Disc Pads; Front;

Back