Who threw away a perfectly good 1st Gen?

Bruinzfan

Registered
A friend of mine saw this and tipped me off to it. He thought it was a second Gen so I was going to try to do some talking if I wanted parts off of it. Obviously it was not. I have tried to upload some pics, not the best, from my phone. But was kinda sad to see it hangin around up there!

Attachments

• img179.jpg
    img179.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 0
  • img187.jpg
    img187.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
Nice photo!

That just shows how stupid that program is. The Mark VIII fuel mileage is much better than many (even smaller) cars from those years.

You can kiss those parts from the 'clunkers' goodbye.

To be eligible for the government payment, the dealer must show the car has been properly disposed of which includes destroying the engine/transmission prior to shredding or crushing the remainder for scrap.

Most dealers will sell these clunkers to recyclers who will somehow provide proof to the dealers. The recyclers have the option to part out certain 'non-drivetrain' components, but since many recycled cars are worth little beyond their drivetrain components, you can bet the easy part is destroying the car and filling out the paperwork vs. dismantling the car, inventorying the parts and then destroying the more profitable drivetrain.

According to Edmunds who has list of cars eligible for the program, all Mark VIII's except the ''96 & '97 qualify for the program.

What do they use to determine if it qualifies? I was told by a friend tonight that they actually deliberatly seize the engine by draining the oil and filling it with an other chemical which instantly seizes the engine. I dont understand why one Mark would qualify and not the next, when you are talking within each generation.

Well one thing is for sure. I knew the pics would be a conversation piece, so far no disapointments here. (Other than my heavy heart having actually seen a mark in a dumpster.)

I did see a festiva in a dumpster years ago. Ford Dealership I worked at part time. During snow plowing we couldnt find the keys to one of the Festiva's back in the 80's obviously. The owner took the pay loader, scooped it and dumped it in the dumpster. Brand new car on the lot mind you. As a teenager I was amazed. :eek: I also knew right there....dont tick the boss off!!

Keith

My brother has friends at the local Kia lot. He was shown a 96 Crown Vic yesterday with only 60k miles. Thats when his buddy told him that they were about to drain the oil and run it til it seized!!! What the hell??!! Obama is not a car guy.....he just spends millions making sure he has a bombproof Caddy.:mad-tilt:

Why does it make you mad? Its not like there making anyone give up their car,there just making it easier for someone to get rid of an old car that may cost more to fix then then its either worth or then they can afford,hell from what I have seen most of the people who take advantage of the program couldnt sell the car for more then a grand

That's a sad pic.

Reminder, let's keep the politics of the program out of this forum. We can discuss the political aspects in the political forum.

Why does it make you mad? Its not like there making anyone give up their car,there just making it easier for someone to get rid of an old car that may cost more to fix then then its either worth or then they can afford,hell from what I have seen most of the people who take advantage of the program couldnt sell the car for more then a grand

The loss of parts is the biggest thing for me (us, with Marks).

I can understand and appreciate that,but lets face it most people that own a mark dont even know there are people out here that loves these cars like we do so yes its a shame to see one go down but at the same time its their choice (even if it is a bad one)

http://www.freep.com/uploads/pdfs/2009/07/0728_eligible.pdf

Newly eligible cars. Including some Mark VIII's

Really understand everyones comments about the thoughts of some of the people who have these cars, what were they thinking?
Remember these were more of an older guys car, not affordable to the younger crowds, which now can afford to buy and drive them.
In all honesty, these cars are great, and should be scrapped for parts, but with less and less being saved, it makes perfect specimens all the more valuable to keep in that condition.

Last edited:
One would think,that these cars were not mass produced to begain with and with the numbers we now have been wreck and or torchered to death and scraped yoiu would think our cars would have a higher value then what they do,I just dont get that myself.

I would have been up there in the middle of the night taking parts off of it. But i'm a young hooligan like that:p

ha! somebody should do that just to prove a point! swipe a part or two every night, wether or not you need it. wheels, trunk lid.. makes one wonder if the interior is in good shape. it'd be a heck of an upgrade for my '72 Jeep

It's strange with this program. I'd actually been (barely) considering taking advantage of this for my '86 Town Car. it's getting rusty, and has 320,000 miles. now that they've tweaked the numbers, it no longer qualifies. I guess it'll continue being the workhorse for the time being.

[NOT a clunker:] (apparently)

Attachments

• 100_0088.sized.jpg
    100_0088.sized.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 0
Back