driver's power window motor

frankjc

Registered
how much fun is it to replace? window went down, wouldn't come back up, i pulled the door panel wacked it with a hammer and it went up. what am i in for when i change this out? thanks. frank

They are simple to replace, 3 bolts to remove, from the outside of the door, after you remove the door pad. Then one wire connector.

Advance has one, $55.00.
I found my Ford CD manual, it says something about drilling holes to access bolts....

No drilling for a mark. Older town cars you need to. Changing motor is okay up or down.

According to the manual...

Window Regulator Electric Drive

Removal

1. Raise the front door window glass (21410) to the full up position, if possible. If the front door window glass cannot be raised and is in a partially down position, it must be supported so that it will not fall into the door well during removal of window regulator electric drive (23394).

2. Disconnect battery ground cable (14301). Refer to «Section 14-01».

3. Remove front door trim panel (23942) and front door trim shield (237A04). Refer to «Section 01-05».

4. Disconnect window regulator electric drive connector.

5. CAUTION: Prior to window regulator electric drive removal, make sure that the front door power window regulator arm is in a fixed position to prevent counterbalance spring unwind.

Position the window regulator electric drive wiring harness out of the way. Using a 19 mm (3/4 inch) hole saw with a 1/4 inch pilot, drill three holes at the existing drill dimples located on the door inner panel adjacent to the window regulator electric drive.

6. Remove the three window regulator electric drive retaining screws and disengage the window regulator electric drive from the front door window regulator (23200).

Window Regulator Electric Drive

Installation

1. Position the window regulator electric drive to the front door window regulator and install the three screws snug, not tight.

2. Connect the window regulator electric drive wires at the connector and cycle the front door window glass to verify gear engagement. After the gears are engaged, tighten the three window regulator electric drive retaining screws to 5-9 N-m (44-80 lb-in).

3. Install the front door trim panel and front door trim shield. Refer to «Section 01-05».

4. Connect battery ground cable.

5. Check the drain holes at the bottom of the front doors (20124) to make sure that each is open to prevent water build-up over the window regulator electric drive.

Jr...how the heck do you do a copy/paste with your CD Manual? I tried, but it will only copy to my printer!

Highlight text
Click Edit in menu bar
click Copy from drop down menu
right click in message window and click Paste from drop down menu

It only works for text - not so well for pics or tables.

JP, those are the instructions for removing the regulator. You don't need to drill any holes in the Mark VIII to change just the motor. You do need to drill to remove the whole regulator though.

I even took a photo when I removed my motor. You can see 2 of the easily accessible bolts, the third one has my ratchet already on it.:)

DSC01755 (Medium).JPG

Last edited:
I defer to the man with the personal experience. ;)

But I'm confused. The manual show the Window Regulator procedure and the Window Regulator Electric Drive procedure. What's the difference??

I thought the window regulator is the part that goes up and down and I took the electric drive to be the motor? :confused:

The Regulator is the whole sub assembly containing the motor and all the other parts that move the window.

I think they are saying that you have to remove the motor to get the regulator out of the door?

I'm not sure, I never took the regulator out.:)

Thanks. I will get around to this one of these days. The parts store I deal with at work has new motors for $36.00. It's working for now, but I know each time I use it could be the last!

Back