Who threw away a perfectly good 1st Gen?

I think a lot has to do with 'perception'. Obviously a "Lincoln" is not perceived as an economy car even though it matches the mpg of many models from the era.

When we purchased our first Mark VIII as a daily driver, we only suffered maybe 1-2 mpg on an average moving from a V6 to a V8.

When the Mrs. took the Mark VIII to the local DMV office to pay taxes and get the registration and plates, they argued with her over the 'value' of the car because it was a "big Lincoln". LOL

I will gladly give up a mile or two per gallon to have more creature comforts and steel around me. Not to mention the feeling of having that Lincoln symbol staring back at you from the wheel. :D

Keith

This is so stupid.

"Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said the average mileage of new vehicles purchased through the program is 9.6 miles per gallon higher than for the vehicles traded in for scrap. Buyers of new cars and trucks that get 10 mpg better than their trade-ins get the $4,500 rebate. People whose cars get between 4 mpg and 10 mpg better fuel efficiency qualify for a smaller $3,500 rebate."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32270718/ns/business-autos/

I have shown time and again you have to at least DOUBLE your fuel mileage to make an valid argument for increased fuel economy the deciding factor of a vehicle purchase. It comes down to the Total Cost of Ownership, period.

How can they purport such statistics when they don't even know how much the program has cost yet??? Stupid people will believe anything, even contadictory evidence.

They tout the truck and SUV trade ins as proof. But what they don't tell you is the trade ins are often 2nd or even 3rd vehicles that are not daily drivers. Now, with a 'new' vehicle, even an econobox, the daily driver will be the 'new car' and as such will result in more fuel use (it's cheaper to drive now syndrome) and emit more emmisions simply because it's on the road more.

I suspect we'll be bailing out all the people soon who default on their government subsidized car loans. Grrrrr... :mad:

I'm doing the opposite. I'm taking my red Mark apart, and the government isn't getting any of it.:D

I can't afford a new Focus or the insurance for it.:)

Buying a new car? Also they kill the cars using liquid glass :(

Nope, no new car, but if I could have got $4,500 for my Mark I would have seriously considered it. So now I will just keep it. It needs some maintenance (suspension, brakes, fluid changes), in addition the CE light just came on last month before I went away to get married and my honeymoon. And that was the month it needed to be inspected, it is like the car knew some how. :confused:
My mechanic down the street from me is backed up, but said he will read the codes for me next week. I should be ok, the police don't care if it is only a month past due and I don't drive it that much right now anyway since i don't start work untill Monday now.

Nope, no new car, but if I could have got $4,500 for my Mark I would have seriously considered it. So now I will just keep it. It needs some maintenance (suspension, brakes, fluid changes), in addition the CE light just came on last month before I went away to get married and my honeymoon. And that was the month it needed to be inspected, it is like the car knew some how. :confused:
My mechanic down the street from me is backed up, but said he will read the codes for me next week. I should be ok, the police don't care if it is only a month past due and I don't drive it that much right now anyway since i don't start work untill Monday now.

You know advance auto parts will pull the codes for free and give you a print out. If there are any where you live of course.

MY crown vic qualifies, and it is probably worth 1500-2000 in a private party sale. So i'd be gaining 3000-2500 thanks to the .gov

But I spent lots of time maintaining/caring for the car. And having it's engine seized just makes me cringe. If they parted it out... it would be another story.

The other story is a new car... I have no idea what i'd get and once you figure tax and other costs ... that extra 2500-3000 i'd get is just a spit in the bucket.

Back