New car for sister

I'd recommend a Civic or a Corolla.

Cougar is the same thing as a Contour really... nothing amazing.

Focus's are good, dependable cars for at least 150k miles. I got my wife a 2005 ZX5 when it was brand new. I ended up trading it in for her Subaru. It was a good car, but the family grew out of it. Why isn't she getting a mark viii?:rolleyes: The newer cougars are cheaply built and handle a lot worse than a focus. They have a random chance of blowing a head gasket, too.

Actually the 2001 Cougar I test drove with her had significantly less body roll than my girlfriend's '05 focus, better brakes too. And she does like my Mark, but with her foot? she might as while buy an audi with the gas she'd be paying for.

Last edited:
Found a nice 2001 LS V6 that my sister may buy.
The only thing wrong with it is (so far, I've only looked at it once) Is that the wood grain above the stereo is cracked, from the sun I imagine.
Does anyone know where to get replacement wood grain panels, if it is real wood of course. I have found some sticker style kits but know real panels.

Also what else should I check on these vehicles?

Thanks a lot.

Check on the hydrolic fan... it is overly complicated and way to expensive to replace ($1500).
Front suspension components, like ball joints and control arms tend to fail at 50-70k mile intervals.

If I were you, I wouldn't go the LS route.

Check on the hydrolic fan... it is overly complicated and way to expensive to replace ($1500).
Front suspension components, like ball joints and control arms tend to fail at 50-70k mile intervals.

If I were you, I wouldn't go the LS route.

A hydraulic fan? that's just dumb... I hope some one make an electric replacement. Apparently the 2003's had electric fans though, and there is one of those around. It seemed to have tight suspension.

"Earlier LS models had a mechanical engine cooling fan that was operated with a hydraulic pump because the electrical charging system did not have sufficient capacity to effectively power an electric fan. Later on, thanks to an improved alternator design, the fan was changed to an electric version for the 2003-2006 models"

Looks like you're right.

Those things can be had for pretty cheap also. I'd make sure the trans has been serviced... but unfortunately dealers claim it is an unserviceable transmission and there is no dipstick in the engine compartment... :(

My ford mechanic friend said they can only be services when they are hot or something like that. The 5R55n/e/w/whatevers are also used in the newer Explorers in a 4 speed flavor. They were all made at the Bordeaux plant in France (which may explain why the tranny cooler lines are sometimes clogged with cigarette butts). The 3.9L V8 offered in the LS is a Jaguar motor and thus, inferior. So I would not want one of those.
----------------------
From F150online.com:
1.I went surfing over at: Serious Explorations (Explorer/Mountaineer forum site) and found a couple of methods that combined will work. Looks like I'll have to drop the pan to change the filter and clean the magnet, put the new filter in and reinstall the pan. Then go to the tranny cooler, take the lines off, have a small hose in new ATF and a hose in an old bucket to collect the old ATF, and then have someone run the vehicle until new fluid starts coming out. Then reattach the lines to the trany cooler and go to the oil level check plug on the tranny, and by using a threaded adapter and a hand/vacuum pump, pump a couple of quarts of new ATF in until it is overfull, then let the excess drain out the oil level check plug.

What a PIA

2.These aren't so bad. You can do two different things. You can remove the vent fromt he back of the transmission and dump fluid in from there or you can push the fluid in through the drain plug. When you remove the pan you will see the drain plug is two parts. The outer part goes up to where fluid level should be. The inner part is to let the excess fluid out and push new fluid in. To fill these after service push about 4 quarts into them and quickly reinstall the drain plug. The start the vehicle and breifly run it through the gears. Then remove the inner plug to let excess come out. If none comes out add more until it comes out. I suggest filling the transmission cold and checking the level warm. One thing is for sure there is no clean way to service these.
Alan
--------------------

But I would have her take it to a trusty Aamco down the road and have her put Amsoil and a cooler on it anyways.

Also i believe the 3.0 V6 is a DOHC Duratec variant (hence the 7 qt oil capacity). And those are pretty solid engines.

Last edited:
The 3.0 should be pretty solid. Most ford engine past 1998 will last 200k miles or more with proper maintenance.

Also i believe the 3.0 V6 is a DOHC Duratec variant (hence the 7 qt oil capacity). And those are pretty solid engines.

The 3.0 should be pretty solid. Most ford engine past 1998 will last 200k miles or more with proper maintenance.

True on both counts. I had a V6 DOHC Duratec in a Sable LS Premium and it was pretty impressive for the small displacement.

Back