Lug nut lock.

calisonic

Registered
I noticed the other day that my front passenger side wheel (haven't checked the rest) has a keyed lug nut on it, and I have no key for it. The previous owner never mentioned it. Luckily I haven't needed to take any of the wheels off yet.

Is this a factory thing or what? It's a '98 base.

Thanx.

Try looking for the lug key in the trunk in the spare tire well. I belive on my 97 it came with them on from the factory, it was 12 years ago so my memory has faded. :D

On my 98 it came from the factory, I'm not sure if all were stock or an option. I think I read that it should be attatched to the lug nut wrench. Mine was missing too, but in the paper work with the owners manual had an envelope with a part # for replacement. The company is McGaurd and on the envelope it says if the ID card is not availble to call 800-669-8788. Pretty silly, if you don't have the envelope you don't have the phone #

A factory locking lug is round on the outside and keyed in the center. If that is what you have, any FLM dealer has a master set to determine which key you need and can order it for you. If I remember, they cost about $10.. In an emergency, you can take a deep socket and pound it on and get the nut off.

too expensive for me too, that's why I borrowed them from my friendly local mechanic! :)

On my 98 it came from the factory, I'm not sure if all were stock or an option. I think I read that it should be attatched to the lug nut wrench. Mine was missing too, but in the paper work with the owners manual had an envelope with a part # for replacement. The company is McGaurd and on the envelope it says if the ID card is not availble to call 800-669-8788. Pretty silly, if you don't have the envelope you don't have the phone #

Yeah all I have back there is the lug nut wrench with the folding built in socket thing, (would it kill them to put a real socket and 1/2 drive in there?). So I guess I'll be ordering one, thanks guys.

use a 12 point 3/4 impact socket, beat it on to the locks one at a time, remove them with an impact gun, then replace with regular lug nuts, all 5 of my mark VIII's got that treatment, toss them, so you never need the key.

use a 12 point 3/4 impact socket, beat it on to the locks one at a time, remove them with an impact gun, then replace with regular lug nuts, all 5 of my mark VIII's got that treatment, toss them, so you never need the key.

By far the easiest way to do this...just remember that you're using "sacrificial" sockets.

mannn

mannn

last time I found myself in this situation, I asked my friendly local mechanic. (firestone, in my case) and he lent me a set of these:

http://www.danashop.com/5-Piece-1-2-in.-Drive-Locking-Lugnut-Twist-Socket-Removal-Kit-p-104486.html

worked like a charm. I threw away all four, replaced them with regular lug nuts, and never looked back

I soooo needed those back when i took mine off with hammer and chisel and grinder. A nut would NOT weld sufficently to the head of it to get torque, kept breaking it off).
I lost the key when it was put into storage after the accident.
but i did get all 4 off with no damage to the rims.

Back