Intro

Jason_s79

Registered
Well, I just picked up my 1st mark viii. It's a '94 blue on blue with 113k on it. All in all it seems to be in pretty nice shape, and at $1500 you cant go wrong. It's nice to find a community with a wealth of knowledge and enthusiasm for this car. If there are any people in the Wisconsin area that get together that would be great.

Either way I'm looking forward to enjoying this car, and learning what I can from you guys/gals.

Jason:imnew:

Welcome! Whereabouts in WI? We do have occasional get togethers in the Chicagoland area.

Welcome to the Lincolns of Distinction!

Blue on Blue is one of my favorite color combinations.

Photos?

If you haven't already done so, check the tech sections for what to inspect right away for replacement or repair. Have the tranny fluid changed (have the 1-2 accumulator spring checked while that is being done), check the rear sway bar for cracks near the ends, keep track of any overnight lowering of the front end (a symptom of air struts that need replacement), check to see if your blend door mechanism is busted by switching between the heater and AC (a broken mechanism will mean one of those functions will not work very well or not at all - this is a common problem in 97-98 Mark VIIIs, and is difficult/expensive to repair), and whatever else I missed.

If you have all of the issues listed above, your Mark VIII will end up costing around $2000 more than you've already paid...and unfortunately, none of those issues can be ignored for very long. On the bright side, paying $3500 for a 97 Mark VIII with none of those issues is still a good purchase.

Good luck...and let us know if you do indeed have any of those issues. We are well versed in how to fix them for the lowest cost possible.

IMG00133.jpg

IMG00134.jpg

IMG00135.jpg

IMG00136.jpg

well so far I've only noted a few problems. The tach isn't working, the coolant temp never rises into the normal range and the engine stumbles when it is in OD at lower speeds - say 35-45. Also when I let off the gas to coast down (like when going from a 35mph zone to a 30) it doesn't really seem like it slows much, or quickly. Hopefully all minor issues I can work out quickly.

I need to find key fobs for it, and a working power antenna. The buttons on the climate control are wore thin so I'll be replacing it as well.

I suppose I should post all this in the tech section...

well, here's the update... phoned it in to work and spent the better part of the day working on it. I replaced the plugs, pcv valve and changed out the out for mobile one. When I started it up I immediately noticed the miss. I started going through the connectors, and the ignition wires to make sure nothing was loose and I noticed that one of the injector plugs had the entire side broken out of it..

So I went down to the local u-pull it and gathered up all 8 pigtails for the injectors. So far I've only replaced the one that had the side broken out, but on a few of the others the ears/clips are bowed out so I may go through and solder all new ones in.

So far it seems to be 99% better. No bucking at cruising speeds, but under hard acceleration from a dead stop it did still seem to miss a little. Still night and day better than it was.

Back