Alternator Problems

93LINCMK8

Registered
So I was on my way to school this morning, Yeah, school on Saturday morning, anyways, the message center said check charging system. The anti-lock brakes light came on and the tach was stuck at 1100. It also started to spit and sputter with a lack of power. I got to school and shut it off and it wouldn't start.

About two hours into class my remote start key fob beeped as if I had shut the car off, but it wasn't on to begin with. After class I went out and it started right away so I drove off. Not far down the road it did it again. This time the stereo lights went out, the climate control lights went out, the message center went out and it really ran like crap. I had to remove the alternator and take it to PepBoys to be tested. It was bad. I tried to exchange it without the receipt cause I should be in the computer but they couldn't find me in there. He asked if I was sure I bought it there. He said that the number on it wasn't one of their numbers. I went home to get the receipt. He got me another one, it had the same exact numbers, what a punk. It was remanufactured by Bosch. It only lasted 7 months. Let's see how long this one lasts. At least I didn't have to pay for it! This is the second time I've vanished from their computer in less than a year. Has anyone else had this problem with PepBoys?

I think I might have to do the same... but they're so close to my house... not close enough to keep breaking down due to crappy parts and poor service.

Well the only true good alternators I have heard of were Ford remans... everything tends to fail at least once a year.

me too I'm on my second re-man auto zone tried to for get that they sold me 177.00 alt.also! I heard fords were way expensive?(177.00 hurt!) I'm thinking about putting an amp. in the trunk so I'll have power wires to hook a booster pack to. so I can get home to change alts. getting rides @work sucks! its surprising how short of range these cars have without the alt. I was begining to think I was having other problems but your car sounds the same as mine when the alt. fails!

I had a problem with my NAPA one, it was new not a reman. I had the receipt and they gave me a new one. My OEM lasted 10 years and over 120k. The new NAPA one lasted like 6 months and 3k miles. It has a lifetime guarantee but who wants the inconvenience of it falling on you all the time.

Exactly. Might have to start carrying around an extra alt. in the trunk for emergencies.

Last edited:
About 2 years ago my alt died, a friend recommended a electrician he knew and he rebuilt my alternater and i haven't had a minutes trouble out it.....just an idea if you can find a trusted electrician

I just checked the PA Performance website, they don't list ANY parts for a 93 MK8. I did, however, check out the Powermaster Motorsports, but they only carry for the 96-98 MK8. Are the Gen1 and Gen2 MK8's interchangeable? Or does it matter when you upgrade? I just want to make sure the bolt pattern and wiring harness on top will be the same as well as the clocking position of the electrical posts since it's a snug fit up top on the driver's side with the wiring. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm on my 7th alternator in 3 years (5 Shucks Autolites, 1 Schucks Motorcraft, 1 NAPA reman -- all with lifetime warranties, longest life was 9 months, shortest 1 week). Can you say 'frustrated'? :)

-John in Seattle, WA

I just checked the PA Performance website, they don't list ANY parts for a 93 MK8.

Hi John! Welcome! :)

Get this one from PA Performance - LINK.

It's brand new and will bolt right in. You may need to open the harness up for the regulator wires to get some slack needed to plug it in but that's all. ;)

I had one of those for a few years, worked fine. Then I stepped up to a 180 due to needing more juice and having UD pulleys. You have to watch out for the higher amp Alt. though. Some won't put out what the stock ones do at idle.

Anyways, if you are eating Alt. that fast then there's something else wrong with your electrical system. I would start checking for grounds, degraded wires and cables, corrosion and so on.

One problem with the stock MK8 alternator is the lack of charge current at idle speeds. The Cobra version produces significantly more current at low RPM. If you have under drive pulleys, the 160A Cobra alternator is practically required. Doesn't cost much more, and fits perfectly if you re-arrange the harness to the alternator (need maybe 1" more slack). Highly recommended for any alternator replacement on these cars.

mark

One problem with the stock MK8 alternator is the lack of charge current at idle speeds. The Cobra version produces significantly more current at low RPM. If you have under drive pulleys, the 160A Cobra alternator is practically required. Doesn't cost much more, and fits perfectly if you re-arrange the harness to the alternator (need maybe 1" more slack). Highly recommended for any alternator replacement on these cars.

mark

What years of Cobra's will work?

I purchased my 93 MK8 from my step-dad a couple years ago. I inherited the alternator curse with it. The car went through 5 different alternators through Schucks and 2 through NAPA. I eventually tucked my tail, went to the dealership, and after them ordering the wrong part three times in a row told them to look up the part number on motorcraft.com and asked them to order that part. Reluctantly they did and what to their wondering eyes, it was the right one! Do yourself a favor, read these posts, become an expert on your own car, then stick to your guns. I'm 6+ months out and my remanufactured (not rebuilt) Motorcraft alternator is operating flawlessly. You can go for the performance ones, but I don't think they make them for the Gen1 MK8's. FYI. Good luck!

Back