Mercon V

Modular

Registered
Changed trans fluid in 98 mark today. Treat it good especially because these cars run forever. Oh by the way, I do it all in my driveway. Had to comment because the odor of Mercon V is awful!! What are they putting in it now? Hi tech manure.

You should as a maintaince item drain (or use turkey baster) the fluid out and refill with fresh fluid and turn the wheels lock to lock several times with the engine running, redrain and refill. Hard telling what is in your system, but I would venture that it is very black looking and dirty. I just wanted you to be aware that both use the same fluid (Tranny and PS) per FOMOCO manual.

Hmmm.. I never noticed that clean M5 smells "Awful".. I think instead it was slightly burnt or had some burnt clutch lining material remaining. Did you drain the converter too?

mark

Doesn't smell bad IMO. Never had a car with bad smelling trans fluid. Smells kinda sweet like coolant.

Changed trans fluid in 98 mark today. Treat it good especially because these cars run forever. Oh by the way, I do it all in my driveway. Had to comment because the odor of Mercon V is awful!! What are they putting in it now? Hi tech manure.

If you do it in the driveway, how do you flush the Torque converter?

If you do it in the driveway, how do you flush the Torque converter?

I never did mine in a driveway but I take it to a shop and see how they do it. The torque converter has a drain plug, you just need remove the cover then spin it manually around to get it on the bottom if it is not there already then open it up to drain it. I would guess it could be done in a driveway but it would be easier on a lift.

In a shop they do it by using a machine to flush it. You CAN do it in the driveway....sure can be messy tho.... unless you've installed a drain plug in the pan. Drain and remove pan...(or pull all but 4 bolts (one each corner) - carefullly loosen remaining bolts and put BIG drip pan 4'X4' under vehicle. Try to catch what starts coming out rear corners in a bucket and continuing to loosen bolts...remove rear bolts -- continue loosening fronts and aim for the bucket.....) Clean up mess under car and put pan out of the way. The trans will continue to drip for about an hour or more, that's why the big drip pan.

Remove the rubber cover so you can see when the drain plug comes around on TC. by having someone turn the engine over by hand (big bolt on front of engine). Pull the plug and wait for LOTS of fluid to come out! Replace the pan (it has a reusable gasket) and refill with Mercon V....

Now THAT's why I take mine to a shop to have it flushed!

I have done about 6-7 trans services "in a driveway" average time is about 1-2 hrs if you allow for sufficient drain time and time to clean the pan. The magnet always has a ton of crap on it that you need to clean off.

Dealers charge at least $150 for a flush and that doesn't get you a new filter or a clean pan.

A "real" trans job costs like 300-400 around here for the same labor that you can do at home for $60. So it is a no brainer for me.

My crown Vic Trans is at 210k miles same 4R70W and still shifts like a champ :).

Back