HID wiring question

frankjc

Registered
I have a question about wiring HIDs. A guy at work gave me a set that he pulled from a used car trade in. He says he doesn't remember how they were connected. One just has a male connector, but the other has 2 female connectors, and a male... I am not sure how to connect them.
hidlights002.jpg
hidlights001.jpg

Last edited:
He didn't pull the connects from the OLD power -to -transformer leads. Are you sure he pulled it from a MARK VIII? If he didn't, give it back!

I didn't have the old power connectors to the original ballasts (or they didn't fit I forget). I just soldered the positive wire going to the original ballast, to the red wire on the new ballast. Then I soldered the black wire from the new ballast to the negative from the original negative wire.

Make sure the power plug on the new ballast is plugged in right, there is a + mark on the ballast where the red wire goes. Some of those plugs can plug in either way.

That is an aftermarket kit. The first picture is ?????.The second picture look like the one I installed in my Mark. I don't have the instructions any more, but I remeber it's pretty easy. If you do a search, the install instructions are on this site or LVC.

You need disconnect the stock ballast and rewire the new ones (you should have one for each side) in.

Also they are not very expensive on E-Thingy. I'm not sure I would install a used set. Picked up one pretty cheap and I am very happy with it.

Last edited:
They were actually pulled from a Landcruiser. The car has to have OE bulbs to be certified, so they took them out. I know I can get a set online cheap, but they were free, so I figured what the heck. If they don't work, I am out $0.

Back