SSHS9 Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout 9

mlschultz

Registered
Mark your calendars for November 7, 2009! The website is now open for registration to the Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout 9 at Atlanta Dragway located in Commerce, Georgia!

Enroll early, and take advantage of early registration discounting! Register at SSHS9.COM This event, features 4000 pound and up rear drive American "fat cars" and trucks with driver, that 1/4 mile drag race for both handicap bracket and heads up trophy's! See how your ride stacks up against the other heavyweight contenders!

This is the 9th year of this grass roots event put on for racers, by racers! We are also happy to announce the addition of a judged car show this year, along with a open test and tune for those that do not make the weight or choose not to bracket race, so there is something to do for everyone!

We are looking for volunteers to help with the event, so if you can spare an hour or so the day of the event, go to the new SSHS message board: SSHS Message Board Forum and get on the volunteer list!

See you at the track!

Last edited:
I wish it did, Joe. But you can race all day during the test and tune portion of the event. There are a bunch of awd/fwd car owners interested in racing, but until the rules are changed, the car needs to be rwd and 4000 pounds or more with driver to race for the shootout trophy.

Depending on enrollment numbers, I can see this rule being modified to accommodate any wheel drive to help improve registration numbers. :)

Might be able to finally make it this year. Have two personal holidays to take before the end of the year.

Its not a big deal, although I think it would be fun to see how quickly, or not as the case may be, DTSax goes down the track.

and I know the Saxillac breaks the 4000lb mark, but the mark I thought... and I say this quietly... I thought then marks only weighted around 3800?

:D -J

Hope everyone can fit this event into their schedules! We really need the support this year, as some of our sponsors from last year have not committed to return, and that could turn the lights out real quick for this event if participant registration is slow.

Joe, Yes, Marks come in on the light side of 4000 pounds. You also need to factor in the weight of the driver, and other things like a full tank of fuel, and junk in the trunk :) I raced at about 4100 pounds last year driving across the scale.

Joe, plan the trip. The Impala crew is a hoot to party with! :D

My '93 weighs in usually at 4050 pounds in race trim.

I'm still waiting for the 16+ second FWD class... :D

See if you can make that happen huh... :D

So, BTW... looks like I'm in.
JP, any chance I can head to WV and then caravan?

... I think it may be party time ...

"Gates Open At 8"

funny... :D

BTW, and this is I'm sure a dumb question, should I reg my car?
and if so, should I pretend that I'm driving a red MK8 LSC... cause I'm gettin pretty good at it... :D or reg the Saxillac?

Ok, so having read a little more, I want to register for whatever is going to get me the best parking...
where the people will be...
where the sitting and drinking and watching will happen... :D

So, is that race? car show? or both?

I wish I could set up a 4000 lb+ FWD class. If we can get maybe a dozen FWD 4000 + lb cars to enter, I could probably make it happen. :)

You can park just about anywhere during the event, but I think the car show might have a reserved area possibly right next to the tower.

lol In the pit area, parking is usually segregated by Impala, Marauder, Charger, Mark VIII, Mark VII, etc., and spectator parking is anywhere - as long as you park out of the way of the cars that are racing, and their gear/trailer/rigs. If you decide to be a spectator and not run your car down the track, you could park right next to the grandstand if you like, or in the pits.

The Mark VIII people are usually in the grandstands, staging lanes waiting for their turn to race, or in the pits.

The car show is new to the event this year, so I can't say how many people will be in that area. It is about 50/50 grandstands/pits where the people are from years past.

So, BTW... looks like I'm in.
JP, any chance I can head to WV and then caravan?

Sure! :D

We usually leave on Thursday evening and drive part way, stay at a hotel along the way and arrive in Commerce, GA Friday afternoon in time to freshen up, eat at Sonic's and go to the track for Friday night Test 'n Tune.

Yes, the gates open at 8 on Saturday and I am usually there near the front of the line. ;)

I need to find a way to go to this. Joe, maybe wanna split a room? I still have to see how things work out with the kids and stuff, but this sounds too good to pass up. I just have to see about registering and all that.

Last time I looked, there were hotels in Commerce for around $50 to 100 a night that were like 5 miles or less from the track. :)

Attention pre-registered SSHS9 Racers, I have started the Unofficial SSHS9 Participant Roster, and have posted it on the SSHS9 web site.

To get your name on the roster, simply click on the following link, and follow the instructions on the SSHS9 web site. Let's see how you stack up against the competition! http://www.sshs9.com/roser.html

Back