alternator removal

rich

Registered
I have a 93 Mark w/underdrive pulleys, I got the top 2 bolts out, the bottom left bolt out, the free spinning pulley that the back of the belt rides on the 4th bolt is tucked up underneath it---I can't get a socket or a wrench on it. I believe I'm going to have to take the pulley off, there's a shaft sticking out of the pulley which looks to be a washer on it. My question is, is that pulley system all one piece? Or can I just put a pulley puller on it to get it off?
Thanks in advance,
Rich

I don't know what you could be talking about - all the bolts should be easily accessible.

Removal and Installation

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Remove accessory drive belt from generator pulley.

3. Disconnect wire harness attachments to generator/regulator assembly.

4. Remove generator support bracket from top of generator assembly.

5. Remove two generator mounting bolts and remove generator.

6. To install, reverse Removal procedure. Tighten generator mounting bolts to 20-30 N-m (15-22 lb-ft). Tighten generator support bracket bolts to 8-12 N-m (6-8 lb-ft).

Most alternators will come with a pulley, so removal is not necessary. If you need to swap pulleys. an impact wrench is the best tool.

"the free spinning pulley that the back of the belt rides on the 4th bolt is tucked up underneath it" - the idler pulley??? It should be nowhere near to being in the way.

Last edited:
I agree ....
The Alternator should be really simple to swap/remove I just did mine like 2 months ago and it took me all of 15min to do.

As far as a pic load it to photobucket and like it from there.

If you host pics on the net you can post them with the IMG tags...

Or you can send them to me via email and I would be glad to post them for you.

j_a_peters at usa dot net

I agree ....
The Alternator should be really simple to swap/remove I just did mine like 2 months ago and it took me all of 15min to do.

As far as a pic load it to photobucket and like it from there.

Here's the pix, hope it works for a newbie like me. I may need instructions on how to remove the idler pulley, thanks.

I see!

I missed the underdrives part. With underdrives, the oversized waterpump pulley is blocking the lower alternator bolts.

There should be 4 bolts holding the waterpump pulley. You should be able to remove them easily enough.

Or you could get a crowsfoot wrench on the bolt.

I see!

I missed the underdrives part. With underdrives, the oversized waterpump pulley is blocking the lower alternator bolts.

There should be 4 bolts holding the waterpump pulley. You should be able to remove them easily enough.

Or you could get a crowsfoot wrench on the bolt.

Yeah you would have to take that pullie off....

Back