Car hesitating at WOT

I presume you have checked the fuel line(s) for restriction. The most common place is the lower fender rail just behind the wheel well. It's has that stupid piece of plastic covering over the fuel line bundle. Sometimes all it does is hide the smashed line. ;)

When I bought it I replaced the return line, 2 rear brake lines, and a vapor line because they were crushed, since i bought it with a collapsed suspension. I gave the feed line a good look and it looks fine, and a return line restriction would only raise pressure.

That reminds me, though, I should probably replace that piece of plastic. :)

Well, down to a half tank and it's doing it again. Only at high accelerations, though. Car is driveable, but I like to drive fast :(

Anyone have a pic of the inside of a gen 1 tank? There's probably a broken baffle or something in there that's screwing me.

Anyone? A pic of the inside of the gen 1 tank would be helpful trying to diagnose the cause of the problem.

With just under half a tank, i will get the hesitation if I am turning right and accelerating, but not if I am turning left and accelerating. Maybe, maybe not if i'm going straight and accelerating.

I don't recall ever seeing a pic of the inside of a fuel tank. I don't see any detail in the manual either, just this:

The polyethelyne fuel tank has an internal reservoir in which the fuel tank sending unit and pump assembly rests. The fuel tank sending unit and pump is mounted with its inlet at the bottom of the reservoir. This design increases satisfactory pump operation during extreme vehicle maneuvers and steep vehicle altitudes with low fuel levels.

Here ya go Dave.
If you would ever get over here to pick up that trans you can see this tank in person.:D

DSC04376 (Large).JPG

DSC04377 (Large).JPG

DSC04378 (Large).JPG

DSC04379 (Large).JPG

DSC04380 (Large).JPG

DSC04381 (Large).JPG

DSC04382 (Large).JPG

Is that an extra tank you might be looking to get rid of as well?

I'm sorry I haven't made it down there yet. I've just been so busy fixing stuff this summer. Waverunner broke twice. Still prepping the Crown Vic to race next week. Etc. Etc. I do still want it!

I've got just the plastic tank part, if you need it, you can have it.

You'll have to put your shield and hangers on it.

Awesome. I'll try to get down there to pick it up (and the trans) this week, either Monday or Wednesday if that works for you.

There has to be something wrong with that bucket on my car. Maybe it got dislodged when lowering or reinstalling the tank. But a new used tank will probably fix it. It's to the point now at about 3/8 of a tank, it will about die every time you turn right, even if you baby it, but you can floor it and turn left and you won't have a problem. If you floor it and go straight you're good for a couple of seconds before it dies. I bet that plastic bucket is floating around somewhere in my tank, but not under the fuel pump.

OK Dave. Give me a call on my cellphone Monday or Wednesday, as I'm not sure what time I'll be getting out of work.

It's the fuel tank for sure. I got the tank from Bill (thanks Bill! free car parts are the best kind of car parts) and my roommate is working on dropping the old one now. It's amazing what you can get done for $20 when your roommate is behind on the rent.

It's fixed! Sure enough the plastic bucket was floating around in the old tank. Must have flexed the tank with the jack enough to pop it loose when removing it the first time.

Glad to hear it Dave!

The original gas tank from my red Mark lives on in your car.:D

I'm glad I saved it.

Back