Slow to Start

MindyMark

Registered
Hey all,

Got a developing problem on my Cougar. When the car is cold and the temp outside is cooler (60 degrees or less) there is a delay in the car starting. By delay I mean I turn the key, then nothing (no sounds/clicking, just almost like the battery is too weak) for several seconds, then the car starts just fine. When the car finally turns over it turns over at the normal speed, it is not slow like a dead battery or weak connection.

This morning it was especially bad, it was in the low 40's and it felt like at least 6 to 10 seconds before it turned over.

All the cables are visually ok.

I ran this by the guys over at TCCOA when it first starting happening and several of them suggested replacing the starter. What do you guys think?

Any good starters other then Motorcraft? seems like the store brands become a yearly task of replacing...at least in my personal experience.

Last edited:
I would first pull and scrape the battery leads and terminals, spray with WD40 and reattach and give it another chance tomorrow AM.

It's been less then a year or so since I have cleaned and protected my terminals...last time I did it, no change. :( It can never hurt to try again.

I don't know for sure, but I guess it's about 3 years old or so. It could be on the way out too I suppose. It is a Diehard battery if that makes any difference.

3 years is not that old, most good batteries today under normal conditions should to at least 6, but it does not mean that there could be an issue. When it turns cold weak batteries have trouble starting cars. It should have a prorated warrantee and if you got it as Sears/Kmart they should be able to load test it for free. IF you need a new one you should get something for your old one on a prorated warrantee. Just be carful because sears automotive is notorious for trying to sell you repairs you don’t need.

There isn't a load problem....engine doesn't even turn at all...... no elect reaching the starter solenoid. When it finally does, the engine spins ok..... the prob is in the delivery of juice to the starter. Could also be the ignition switch. Or the selenoid - which is built in to the starter.

Next time it does it...turn key off - then back on again, quickly. See what happens.

I've never turned it off and right back on, but if it is 70 or hotter, or even when colder outside but the car is warm it always starts right up.

However, at a suggestion of TCCOA, there is a TSB that says to check for corrison on the starter solenoid. So I went home on lunch, jacked up the car. Starter connections looked clean, but the transmission was covered in motor oil. Looks like I may have just lost the rear seal. :-(

So I did what any other LOD member without a Mark VIII would do. I drove down to a dealer down the street and test drove the 97 Mark VIII that they have had for a month or so now. :)

Oh, I'm dropping the Cougar off to get the rear seal fixed tonight, assuming that's where it is leaking from.

Back