Six miles at the track...

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
... 1/4 mile at a time. :D

I took advantage of a rare opportunity and drove the '96 to the Mason Dixon Dragway today to battle the Mustangs from the Northern Virginia Mustang Club at one of their track rental drag days.

The forecast had been a bit iffy, but it cleared out overnight and drill bit and I headed out across the mountains in the wee hours of the morning. Good thing we left early as there was quite a bit of fog along the way. But once daylight started to break, the skies were clear and it turned out to be a decnt day at the track.

My 2nd run was the best of the day with a 14.26 ET at 94.6 mph. I tried adjusting tire pressures but it went steadily downhill after the first few runs. Finally after realizing 14.26 were gonna be the numbers of the day, I hunkered down and tried to steal the perfect light and experimented with launch techniques to see if I could improve the sixty foot times.

Track conditions weren't very favorable though and time after time I detected wheel spin. Once the temperatures started to climb I decided to just beat on the car and see what she could handle.

Once the hotlapping was done I pulled back to the pits and counted the time slips. I had managed to eek out 25 runs down the track and the best I had at the tree was a 0.007.

Drill bit took some video with the BlackBerry, and I'll see if I can get some of them downloaded later.

mini-IMG00037-20091003-1116.jpg

Posted some vids...

A couple runs with a yellow Mustang...

Yellow Mustang Vid 1

Yellow Mustang Vid 2

One of my favorites... getting whupped up on by a 13 second F250 PowerStroke! :eek:

13 second F250

A black Mustang tries his hand at chasing the Lincoln...

Black Mustang Vid 1

Then he tries again!

Black Mustang Vid 2

At the 4 mile mark according to the announcer, I found a silver Mustang. ;)

Silver Mustang

The Mustangs were getting tired, so they found a Vette to run me. I had him beat in the 1/8th but he ran me down at the big end of the track! :D

Vette

Enjoy! :)
Photo Albums

Why don't you take the blue flame out anymore?

LOL, the Blue Flame is recuperating from transplant surgery. The rehab program seems to be progressing well and the doc will release it to return to the track soon! :D

Nice runs, JP! Now I must beg your pardon for not having kept up with what's done to whose cars, but what has been done in Drill Bit's 96, I must ask? ;)

Wayne, I did not get a chance to see what modifications the truck had, but as you can tell, that beast left the line like a rocket and I had no chance to catch it! There were a pair of modded late model trucks there. It was impressive to see something so large and heavy move that quick right beside you. :)

Issac, the '96 only has cat-back exhaust, 4.10s, 3500 stall converter, a J-mod, MMx driveshaft and a SCT chip from Blue Oval Chips. I'm confident with lighter front wheels and good conditions at a good track it could crack the 13s.

I am currently collecting parts to make it faster, hopefully an upcoming winter project. But even with the current plans in the works, I do not think the '96 will ever be as quick as the '93. ;)

Nice runs JP... what happend with the 93?

The '96 is standing in for the '93 temporarily. It should be back soon and hopefully will be quicker than ever. Let's just say I started a project later than I should have and it has taken much longer and cost much more than I thought! :D

Last edited:
Back