Shifter Help PLEASE!!

WIP95MRK8

Registered
Okay, just about done doing the blend door replacement and trying to put everything back and I can't seem the get the shifter back on. Im not sure what I'm doing wrong but someone help me. 1998 Base.

tpiswwp.gif

I just did realize that more info is needed. So I can get the shifter on, the button and the spring are in there but for some reason I cannot seem to get the shifter down far enough to put the screws in. I have tried screwing the white plastic piece up and down to get more clearance and still nothing. I will work on the picture.

To move the black piece that surrounds the shifter shaft down far enough to get the screws in, the shifter needs to be in park, and I think that the key needs to be on to release the interlock.

2 more pics. Waiting on my ride to work since I can't drive so any thoughts or suggestions would be great. I will get back with anyone then. Thanks

Attachments

• shifter 1.jpg
    shifter 1.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • shifter 3.jpg
    shifter 3.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 0
And the white electrical piece in your second pic goes inside the shifter tube on the side of the OD switch.

To move the black piece that surrounds the shifter shaft down far enough to get the screws in, the shifter needs to be in park, and I think that the key needs to be on to release the interlock.

I can get the black piece down far enough no problem. Im about a 1/2 inch too far up though to put them in. That's in any gear I tried.

And the white electrical piece in your second pic goes inside the shifter tube on the side of the OD switch.

I haven't been able to get it down really past the tip of that piece. Also when I start pushing down on the shifter it is engaging it so it just easily moved into any gear.

I haven't been able to get it down really past the tip of that piece. Also when I start pushing down on the shifter it is engaging it so it just easily moved into any gear.

This is the connector for the OD button, it HAS to go inside of the shifter tube on the driver's side.

Thanks DLF for all your help. I think the problem was I was so ready to be done I wasn't paying attention to detail when I took off the shifter. All it ended up being was that I did not have the white plastic piece in the right direction. So when i went in with a clear head today I put the rest of it back together in no time. I do have heat which is important also.

Thanks DLF for all your help. I think the problem was I was so ready to be done I wasn't paying attention to detail when I took off the shifter. All it ended up being was that I did not have the white plastic piece in the right direction. So when i went in with a clear head today I put the rest of it back together in no time. I do have heat which is important also.

No problem, glad you got it done.

Back