2 problems... (>.<)

Nyghtshayd

Registered
I got the front crash sensors for Nyghtshayd (93) but when I put them in I still got the code 44 from the airbag light. Anyone got clue what to check?

Also, is the CID sensor (behind the Power Steering res.) and the "......." sensor next to the AC condensor the same part?

Also, is the CID sensor (behind the Power Steering res.) and the "......." sensor next to the AC condensor the same part?

No.

The cam position sensor(CID) is behind the power steering reservoir on the front of the drivers side head.

The crank sensor is next to the air conditioning compressor on the passenger side front bottom of the block.

Hey Driller, Long time my friend. :)

Yeah, so what's the likelyhood that any of these "sensors" will wear out/go bad?
I got new harnests and still I get the cam postion code and the CE light...less often but it still does affect the drive.

Any info on my crash sensor issue?

The cam positioning sensor can go bad and does. It's easy to get to and a cheap part you can easitly get at your local chain automotive store. What it does is to let the computor know when to start the fuel pulse at the injectors on startup of the engine.

On your crash sensor, make sure you have it well grounded, corrosion on the connectors??

Last edited:
The cam positioning sensor can go bad and does. ...On your crash sensor, make sure you have it well grounded, ...

They are a very common failure. It's a Ford thing. I think CID sensors go for about $20 at most parts places.

99% of issues I've seen with crash sensors were a bad ground. The other 1% would be a broken clock spring.

Clock Spring? Where's that please?
First off, the driverside CS is bloated and shows rust where the other one looks crisp.
What's the deal with the Crank Sensor then? Will a faulty wire or bad sensor cause CE?

Bloated? LOL :D

The CAM sensor controls the fuel injector timing.

The cam sensor harness can have the wire break internal of the harness connector and cause problems. That is why it is common to replace the harness pigtail.

The CRANK sensor controls the spark timing.

The crank sensor harness connection can corrode and cause problems. Sometimes it can be a bad wire like the other sensor but usually it just needs a new harness connector.

Both similar BUT different. ;)

OH - the clockspring is inside the steering wheel. It is how the electrical connections are made to the cruise control, horn and airbag.

Last edited:
you better change that cash sensor, its damaged internally, i have seen what you mean, the sensor looks like it has swelled up, the bottom of it is probably puffed out, " bloated " i would replace it.

I got a pair of pigtails for the crank and cam sensors. I changed the cam pigtail but haven't checked the Crank harnest yet. Is it common for the actual crank sensor to go bad?

I got a used pair of Crash sensors online but when they got here, they had the same structural problem. So I go A-Hunting again...
Anyone here selling a good driverside Crash sensor?

Thank you

I have been having problems with the 34, 35 & 41 codes flashing on my 93 Mk VIII. I have replaced the clock spring with a new (not used) one and still have an intermittent 34 & 35 code flash but now the 41 code (passenger side air bag) flashes continuously. I have read all the info on the site and replaced the crash sensor but still have the same problem. So, I am assuming that its a ground problem but don't know exactly where to start looking for a bad ground. Any idea where the bad ground might occur? I am positive the crash sensor metal case is well grounded but as for where to look in the wiring harness I'm at a loss. Any help would be much appreciated.

Try grounding the battery ground to the engine with a jumper cable and reset the codes. (If you don't have the code reader, remove the ground from the battery for a few minutes, turn on headlight switch with ground off, reconnect ground and attach the jumper cable from batt to engine. Be sure to pick a real good metal ground on the engine.

THEN see if the codes come back. If they don't, replace your battery cables.

Just on a whim, I decided to replace both front crash sensors to see if that could possibly be the problem, but not to be. Still have the flashing 41 trouble code. I'm completely stumped.

Try grounding the battery ground to the engine with a jumper cable and reset the codes. (If you don't have the code reader, remove the ground from the battery for a few minutes, turn on headlight switch with ground off, reconnect ground and attach the jumper cable from batt to engine. Be sure to pick a real good metal ground on the engine.

THEN see if the codes come back. If they don't, replace your battery cables.

I tried grounding the engine to the frame and to the battery before and tried it again this morning after replacing the crash sensor, no change. Still have the flashing code.

Yes, I cleared the code, then this morning I replaced the ground cable as there was a little green showing in the factory splice where the wires are "cold welded" together. Didn't make any difference, still have the 41 code. This all started shortly after I replaced the clock spring, maybe 2 or 3 weeks later. As that was just a plug-in I didn't think they were related, but now I'm wondering about the wiring harness at the bottom of the steering column. Any thoughts?

?? Cam sensor?? Code 41 that is flashing pertains to passenger side CRASH sensor?
How would a cam sensor interact with the crash sensor code?

Back