Replacing rear shocks with?

black97lsc

Registered
I have a clunk in the passenger side rear and my mechanic says I need new rear shocks. After reading around, sounds like it may just be the mount but with 130,000 miles I'm sure the ride would benefit from some new shocks.

I was reading this post, thanks for the write up and great pics, so I think I could tackle the project on my own: http://www.lincolnsofdistinction.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16402

My question now is, which shocks to go with.....
I've read the comments on the cobra bilsteins, which are said to be stiffer. I don't want that. Then I see people using the Monroe which they seem to be pleased with and finally the Ford Motorcraft replacement.

I'm leaning towards the Monroe since I don't want a harsh ride, and the Motorcraft are over $275/pair.

This looks to be the shock and mount kit for Monroe, is there anything else I would need or has anyone else used this kit and run into any problems?

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cart/proddetail.php?prod=MK8SHKIT

Any advice or comments are appreciated!!!

Thanks

IMHO. When I reshocked my 96 LSC, I found the Monroes were just a little too soft for my liking. They may be just about right for what you said you want.

The correct shock number is 5965. I got the best buy at NAPA, and someone on this forum makes a different upper shock mount that works with these shock. Reason you want a different mount is because the shaft on a Monroe is smaller diameter so you either need a sleeve to fit the stock mounts or a different mount.

Last edited:
The correct shock number is 5965. I got the best buy at NAPA, and sommeone on this forum makes a different upper shock mount that works with these shock. Reason you want a different mount is because the shaft on a Monroe is smaller diameter so you either need a sleefe to fit the stock mounts or a different mount.

Great info!
Thanks

I gave up preaching on this topic... but don't go with the monroes, they are horrible shocks. check search please.

If you really want to spend some smack, go for the Koni adjustable shocks. (Just another project on my to do list.) ;)

I did a search on shock install, I didn't see the complaints on the monroe. So, if I don't want to spend big coin on shocks like the Ford Motorcraft or bigger coin like the Koni (wish I could Driller :D ) what's a good option? Should I rethink the cobra bilstein? I want to avoid a harsh ride.

I did a search on shock install, I didn't see the complaints on the monroe. So, if I don't want to spend big coin on shocks like the Ford Motorcraft or bigger coin like the Koni (wish I could Driller :D ) what's a good option? Should I rethink the cobra bilstein? I want to avoid a harsh ride.

On my crown vic i got rid of the POS monroes, and got KYB gas-adjusts. $70 for the pair shipped. So far they are holding up great after 40k miles.

How are the KYB on the ride? I'm looking for something that isn't stiffer than the stock ride as passengers say it has a stiff ride as it is.
And did they slide right in to the stock position or did you have to modify them to fit the Mark?

The GR-2's and Gas-Adjusts are not adjustable.... You will never find an adjustable shock for anything close to $35 a piece.

KYB AGX on the other hand are adjustable, but a much different shock. I got Vogltands and KYB GR2's and gas adjusts. I"ll let you know how they feel when I get them in a week or two.

Thanks for the replies!
Let me know what you think 93Marksman, I still haven't made a final decision on what to go with.

I gave up preaching on this topic... but don't go with the monroes, they are horrible shocks. check search please.

What's wrong with the Monroes? I put those on the white and the green Mark a while ago. Do they just wear out fast or do they ride bad?

I definitely don't want to replace shocks every 2 years and have been searching for info.

Can someone tell me which adjustable shocks drop right in? Is there a good shock that will drop in? I was reading through the thread with the burning out the rubber method, but I don't think I can get away with that in the middle of the city.....oh yeah, and I live right by the airport. I might end up at Gitmo. haha

I definitely don't want to replace shocks every 2 years and have been searching for info.

Can someone tell me which adjustable shocks drop right in? Is there a good shock that will drop in? I was reading through the thread with the burning out the rubber method, but I don't think I can get away with that in the middle of the city.....oh yeah, and I live right by the airport. I might end up at Gitmo. haha

Someone was also making custom shock adapters for cheap.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KYB-344110/

Here is one that fits... (T bird)

Won't be an issue...I burned mine out in Nazi CA, and they never came to get me.

Back