Rip Soupy Sales

How could anyone not know who Soupy was? I used to love his TV show. Actually I met him several times. He lived nearby my office in Manhattan, my usual lunch spot was PJ Clarke's (a famous NYC bar/eatery for over a century) and he used to come in all the time. I don't think he ever knew my name, he just called me "Red," but always said hello to me and the other regulars and occasionally hung with us after work. If he was around you couldn't eat, he could make you laugh by just sitting there, there was something about that rubber face of his.

I remember Soupy when he was a local celebrity in the Detroit area.
I lived in Toledo and if the weather was just right and the antenna was pointed in the right direction.. we could tune in on his show on WXYZ.
My parents didn't want us to watch him because..they just didn't get his humor. We'll miss you Soupy! You were a Pioneer.

If I'm not mistaken wasn't it Soupy who got into big trouble for asking all the kids "out there in TV land" to go into their Mom's purses and send him a dollar?

He told the kids to go into their Mommy's purse and get all the green pieces of paper with pictures of presidents and send them to him...

Of course, he didn't expect them to do it.. that one was for the parents.. which explains why mine didn't want me to watch him.

Back