Ford's November sales steady, but Chrysler falls

steve

With "LOD" Since 1997
Thinks are looking up for Ford. At least they did not take any of my tax dollers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fords...6.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=1&asset=&ccode=

Ford's Nov sales steady as buyers shun trucks for fuel-efficiency; Chrysler sales off 25 pct

By Tom Krisher and Dee-Ann Durbin, AP Auto Writers
On 1:23 pm EST, Tuesday December 1, 2009

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford's U.S. sales held steady in November as buyers snapped up fuel-efficient cars and crossovers, but Chrysler Group LLC reported a 25-percent sales drop from dismal numbers last year.

Automakers are looking for signs of stability in the auto market, which is recovering from a historic drop in sales that began last year. Sales in October were unchanged from a year ago, and stable numbers in November could signal a recovery is under way.

Small monthly auto sales increases are likely as the economy continues its slow improvement, but larger auto sales gains will not happen until the jobless rate drops substantially, and people feel confident spending money on big-ticket items, said Martin Zimmerman, a former Ford Motor Co. chief economist who now teaches at the University of Michigan.

The U.S. jobless rate hit 10.2 percent in October, a 26-year high, and Zimmerman said people are holding onto their vehicles until the rate begins to drop.

Carmakers continued to rely on discounts and other incentive spending to sell cars and trucks last month. Sales incentives rose 2 percent in November to $2,713 per vehicle, according to the auto Web site Edmunds.com.

Ford's sales were essentially flat compared to last November, at 122,846. But sales of crossovers rose 26 percent and sales of cars rose 14 percent. Trucks and SUVs saw double-digit declines. Crossovers are as roomy as SUVs but are built on lower car frames, which improve their fuel economy.

Chrysler said it sold only 63,560 vehicles last month, and it announced an array of sales incentives including zero percent financing and cash rebates designed to draw buyers into its showrooms.

Other automakers are reporting sales on Tuesday.

Ford said its hybrid sales increased 73 percent, to 2,361, as buyers gravitated toward gas sippers. At about $2.65 per gallon, regular gasoline is up around 50 cents over November of last year.

The Ford Fusion sedan, which leads the mid-size category in fuel-efficiency at 34 miles per gallon, posted a 54-percent increase from last November, shattering its previous record for full-year sales.

Overall U.S. sales are expected to rise compared with last November, when they fell to a 26-year low of 743,606, according to Ward's AutoInfoBank. Sales tumbled even lower in January and February before climbing steadily through the spring and summer.

Although the factors that drove down last November's auto sales, such as frozen credit and the stock market collapse, have abated, auto sales will not lead the economy out of recession, Zimmerman said.

"I think we have to see more of a coincident rise in the level of economic activity," he said. "I think it's a ways away. It's coming. It's not here yet."

Ford showed some optimism for the coming year, increasing first-quarter production plans by 58 percent to 550,000 vehicles. Its fourth-quarter production plan is unchanged.

I am a huge Ford supporter!
They have the Fiesta on the way Fusion got Car of the year...
Mustang is awesome!

If they would only fix lincoln.

I am a huge Ford supporter!
They have the Fiesta on the way Fusion got Car of the year...
Mustang is awesome!

If they would only fix lincoln.

I am waiting for them to make a suitable replacement for my Mark VIII. Caddy has a coupe in the works, let us hope Lincoln does.

I am waiting for them to make a suitable replacement for my Mark VIII. Caddy has a coupe in the works, let us hope Lincoln does.

That caddy coupe ain't bad, although GIANT butt. I was at the auto show yesterday. Sat in a CTS-V great interior.. sadly fugly chrome rims, whoever at GM keeps on doing that needs to be shot.

GT-500 Mustang is over 50k... so a nice lincoln will plop to 70k i am sure... not sure if I am willing to spend that kind of coin on a car.

You don't !! You wait two years and it'll sell for 1/2 that!

That is my plan as well after getting a good deal on the wife’s certified pre-owed Acura TL. I see no point in buying new when someone else can pay for the initial deprecation hit and break in the car.

That caddy coupe ain't bad, although GIANT butt. I was at the auto show yesterday. Sat in a CTS-V great interior.. sadly fugly chrome rims, whoever at GM keeps on doing that needs to be shot.

GT-500 Mustang is over 50k... so a nice lincoln will plop to 70k i am sure... not sure if I am willing to spend that kind of coin on a car.

I do like Caddy's commercial better then Lincoln's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpyeUo50-Eg

Lincoln sadly is not on the same footing as Cadillac. Someone at Cadillac obviously has pretty good clout with GM. If someone at Lincoln would match that with Ford we could see a revival.

Just look at the concept cars, the Lincoln C versus the CTS Coupe? Gee, I wonder who's winning that battle? LOL

Just look at the concept cars, the Lincoln C versus the CTS Coupe? Gee, I wonder who's winning that battle? LOL

Never heard of the Lincoln C... just looked up pics of it. The only thing that came to mind was "Um, this is a car?"

Back