start/shift/brake lights

Modular

Registered
98 mark if started will not shift out of park; if key in on position and shifter in neutral starts and shifts ok but auto parking brake won't release; no brake lights

Either a wire broken to the Brake on/off switch (BOO SWITCH) or the switch is bad or fell off. Located near middle of brake pedal arm.

not the only reason why this could be. open the trunk, pull back the carpet on the trunk lid and unplug your neon brake light, then replace the shift interlock fuse thats blown in the fuse box on the dash and the car will come out of park. when the ballast on the neon goes bad, it will cause your tail light, brake light, shift interlock fuse to pop, in a 97 or 98 mark VIII, when the tail lights go out, for safety reasons the car wont come out of park, that way you dont drive and get rear ended. pretty neat huh?

not the only reason why this could be. open the trunk, pull back the carpet on the trunk lid and unplug your neon brake light, then replace the shift interlock fuse thats blown in the fuse box on the dash and the car will come out of park. when the ballast on the neon goes bad, it will cause your tail light, brake light, shift interlock fuse to pop, in a 97 or 98 mark VIII, when the tail lights go out, for safety reasons the car wont come out of park, that way you dont drive and get rear ended. pretty neat huh?

Not if you are being chased by flesh eating zombies and need to escape. :D

When my brake pedal switch went bad it did this, but more intermittantly. If I played with it I could get it out of park. The brake lights were delayed but I think they still came on. Cruise control wouldn't disengage until I applied enough pressure to activate the brake pressure switch. My neon was fine at the time.

i might know a thing or two lol!! now, if you want to fix the ballast, buy an aftermarket replacement ballast from Glitchm@yahoo.com

you cant buy the factory one anymore, but his is a whole lot cheaper and works the same. its very easy to install also and comes with detailed instructions. takes me about 15 minutes to change one.

Back