I did it this time.

Stone17

Registered
I was leaving work today and it was about 55 F outside.Car was running excellent.
I was pushing the car hard on the freeway.When I got to Frys Electronics everything was fine and I was in the store for about 30 min.
I got in the car and started it up and it was running rough.

Right now I am going to pull the plugs and see what is up.

Last edited:
Foud the cylinder that is not firing.It is piston # 7 on the driver side.
The old plug was white.I installed a new one and nothing changed.

Going to change out the fuel injector.
Finger Crossed :)

how full was the gas tank when it ran rough? ive actually ran mine to almost empty, turned out to be trash in the tank, i have to keep mine over 1/4 tank or it runs horrible when it picks that stuff up--yeah yeah i know i need a new filter, no time and its friggin cold outside i dont have a garage right now

how full was the gas tank when it ran rough? ive actually ran mine to almost empty, turned out to be trash in the tank, i have to keep mine over 1/4 tank or it runs horrible when it picks that stuff up--yeah yeah i know i need a new filter, no time and its friggin cold outside i dont have a garage right now

1/2 Tank still in the car.

Nice fix, if you were getting fuel and no spark the plug may have been black and carbon fouled.

Do you know why the injector failed? Was it an electrical thing, plugged up, or something like that?

I'm just curious (I've got 32 injectors :D)

If you want I ll send you the injector to rip a part.

No need...you can test yourself.

Checking the resistance of the injector will tell you if it was an electrical problem.

Maybe putting a needle into the end will eject anything that might be plugging it? I've never held an injector in my hand...

I have a cutaway injector at home from when I worked at Bosch.

They're all a very simple design. They use a coil to excite a needle, much like a solenoid, except the needle has a ball or a machined tip (depending on injector design) to sit in the seat and close off flow. Lift is very small, they measure it in microns - the needle doesn't move much. Lift and orifice plate design govern flow and flow pattern.

You can check the resistance on the coil, and you can put voltage to it momentarily and listen for a click. You could put air pressure on one side and see if it opens up.

It's most likely an electrical problem, or possibly clogged. There aren't a lot of ways for them to fail.

They may be robust, but stay away from recycled injectors. I had a perfectly good working set cleaned and refurbished only to have 2 duds out of 8!

Back