Need amp - which brands are the best

logres

Registered
I'm looking for a well made amp - not cheap Chinese crap. I'm interested in the brands that use good quality parts (caps, mosfets, etc.) and know how to build an amp. Which brands are the best in this respect? I searched the internet for expert reviews and found none.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.296 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

I would check out Elemental Designs.

Hmm made in the "US" is hard to find...
I'd stick with good brands. like
Alpine
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-0qW61brt2jk/p_500MRPF300/Alpine-MRP-F300.html?tp=115
Kicker

Remember RMS is vastly different from "Max Watts"

I know...in fact I know just enough to be dangerous ;). Once I pick a brand, I know how to pick the right model for my system...I just don't know who the "BMWs" of the amplifier world are right now. I know Alpine is better than Pheonix Gold, but other than that, I don't know who the the top brands are with regards to high performance internal parts and well thought-out board and electrical component design. Anyone can make high power, and anyone can make a unit that will last forever. I'm looking for the brands that produce a clean, high quality sound.

need a price range too.

Price is no object.

I'd rather buy a good used unit off eBay than a new bargain brand. And I'm willing to spend a little cash to get it.

I blew my Audiobahn after years of faithful service, so I'm looking for something good. I know, Audiobahn is not all that great; I got fed bad information and replaced my Rockford Fosgate with it a few years ago. This is why I am here asking for EXPERT advice...don't want to go through that again.

i use a Memphis 1000 watt mono block ( could use 2000) to push 2 12" Kicker CVR dual voice 4ohm bridged in a Super BASS Probox *that was installed through the back seat and some cutting and bending was needed on the back dash, then i beat it back flat with a dead-blow hammer* god it was a pain in the ass gettin that huge box in there, but at least itll be a pain in the ass for the ass hat that tries to steal em next time too,
i use a DB Drive spa 85.4 680 watt four channel to push 4 6x8 Kickers ( not sure which model anymore) i know they were the most expensive ones i could get last year ( SOUNDS EXCELENT!!!!!)
i used to use a Hiphonics ZXi1000 four channel in my jeep pushing 4 rockford 5" mids, and that thing was AWESOME, but someone busted my window and stole it,
Im alot like you in that i dont buy ANYTHING just because its the cheapest, i normally spend the money on the best.
The system i have right now can play hard banging rap ( with no trunk rattling), deep low bass tones, very nice mid range and wonderul highs for rock music and even loud heavy metal sounds great, the last time i was tested it measured 186 dbs

Last edited:
Your answer lies in maybe another site, check to see what amps people use in custom show cars, most of them use stuff people would want to have in their cars, meaning high quality stuff, I have an old school Preceision Power Amp, it was real good for just Bass.

The expert at Crutchfield sent me an email indicating the following brands were tops:

JL Audio, Focal, Kicker, Alpine, Polk Audio, Rockford Fosgate.

Oh yea i forgot about JL.

I'd stick with JL/Alpine.

Rockford is a little lower end than the others. Not sure about Focal, never used them.

Yea cool. I have a kicker ZR1000 pushing my 13" ED sub in the vette. I will never sell that amp. Still back when they made them in the USA (I hate chinese stuff also)
they are super pricy... and I ran 3 Kicker L7s in my last Mark... so I am a kicker fan, their stuff never failed me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kick...7fQQitemZ190357072255QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

I thought the power ratings were somewhat low for $600, but then I saw the S/N and THD...very clean amp.

Back