Cobra Intake

Sapperfire

Registered
im thinking of switching to a cobra intake in a 93 Mark, ive been told that this is a 4.6L dual over head cam engine, but im not actually sure as im new to this car, i know its a 4.6, but didnt ford make a single OHC as well?
how hard is it to swap to a cobra intake when i purchase one? anyone who has done this please advise, im not going to add turbos, just the plenum and a cold air kit
also, are there any cool looking valve covers for the stock heads?

Last edited:
The 4.6 in the Mark VIII is the same one they put in the 96-98(?) Cobra...DOHC. Yes, the Cobra intake bolts right on (with some work), and there are cool valve covers you can buy for it...though I'm not sure where. Someone else will chime in with details.

You can cut a piece of the hood to make it fit on the gen 1.

cut a piece? wouldnt a 2 inch cowell be a bit better? i dont want to do MUCH body mod, but a touch wouldnt be bad, i dont want a huge rear open cowell like those 3 inch, way too big for a Mark , IMO
i have a spare gen1 hood ( look out! here comes the torch!!!)

Technically, they are not fiberglass, they are a laminated plastic composite.

The reason I know this is the factory glue that was used sometimes leaks through to the paint and causes spots on the hood that resemble bubbles in the paint. I had the hood on my '93 painted because of this. Despite using a special primer which was supposed to cure the problem, within a couple weeks you could see it returning. It looks as bad now, if not worse, than it ever did.

OH SNAP, are you meaning the marks that look like rings on a coffe table when someone doesnt use a cup coaster, is there a fix for this? im about to have a custom paint job done and mine has those all over the hood

OH SNAP, are you meaning the marks that look like rings on a coffe table when someone doesnt use a cup coaster, is there a fix for this? im about to have a custom paint job done and mine has those all over the hood

I have some rocker panel touchup that needs done come spring. I'll ask my preferred body guy if he thinks he can do anything for it, but I do not know if there is a tried and true fix for it except for a replacement. :frown:

I heard that the hoods were originally coated with gel coat and that needs to be done again before painting?

This is what my friend did.

2319071590081345104S600x600Q85.jpg

Yeah and if you notice the 4 spots on the exposed underside, that is the pattern of the glue spots in question.

I never heard of the gel coat approach. I'll see what the body guy says come spring. It's either going to be fixed or replaced with a cowl hood.

Yeah and if you notice the 4 spots on the exposed underside, that is the pattern of the glue spots in question.

I never heard of the gel coat approach. I'll see what the body guy says come spring. It's either going to be fixed or replaced with a cowl hood.

What about Bond-o? That stuff is pretty tough...

Fiberglass IS a laminated plastic composite. It's just a matter of what fabric they're using. Carbon fiber is also a laminated plastic composite. Technically, fiberglass boats are made out of fiberglass reinforced plastic, which is a composite, laminated, and - you guessed it - plastic. You can call it all different things. There are several different materials and processes used to build these parts, though, and the hood of a Mark VIII is a little different from a boat. I'll keep calling it fiberglass.

Driller - your hood was blistering. It was once a common problem with fiberglass boats. Now, less so. But blisters are still around. The causes are probably a little different on the hood than on a boat hull, though, because of the different materials and manufacturing processes.

Back to the topic at hand - I wouldn't bother putting a Cobra intake on a Gen 1. On a gen 2, it's a much easier job and it makes a much bigger difference. On a gen 1, though, i'd spend that money on gears.

well im doing it more for cosmedic reasons than power, i mean cmon, that looks SO much better, unless you like Modern Art -shrug-, as long as it works ill spend the money on the looks ( i still need those Cobra Emblems too, but they arent making anymore ) i might just throw some standard Cobra ones on there

Back