check engine light

apbpetey

Registered
okay I washed my engine compartment and got water in the spark plug area. the check engine light came on and I fixed the problem, but now how do i get my check engine light to go out. Oh yeah it's a 97 mark.

RE: check engine light

Remove the positive battery cable and touch it to the negative terminal.

DON'T do it in reverse.

Now you get the set the clock - the radio stations - and you get a free oil change (or so the computer thinks anyway).

Sorry Dave that is not the way you do it, right from the CD:

Resetting Keep Alive Random Access Memory (RAM)
Disconnect the battery ground cable for a minimum of 5 minutes. Resetting Keep Alive RAM will clear learned values the PCM has stored for adaptive systems such as idle and fuel trim.

After Keep Alive RAM has been reset, the vehicle may exhibit certain driveability concerns. It will be necessary to drive the vehicle to allow the PCM to relearn values for optimum driveability and performance.

Steve - it works - I've done it. Maybe it resets the light - but not the PCM or something - but it works -- honest

I would jsut take the terminals off of the battery and let it sit for a while. Take the terminals off, go drink a beer, clean the car, clean your garage, or clean some guns, then come back and connect the terminals and the computer will be reset.

Can’t remember what it was, maybe the alarm, but anyway I had some similar kind of problem, disconnected the battery at night and all was fine the next morning.
Give it a night off. ;-)

Always remove the NEGATIVE (-) cable first because this will minimize the possibility of shorting the battery when you remove the POSITIVE (+) cable. Never touch the cable with an other why it is connect on the battery, you want to minimize any sparks so you don't cause an explosion. But you olny need to disconect the ground for 5 minuts to reset the computer.

thanks for the info. I like pony's thoughts the best. Garage and guns already cleaned. So that leaves some bud and a mark to clean.

I'll agree with the group. I'm using the 5 minute no battery method from here on in.

Thanks gents. I don't want to blow myself up. I'm no martyr.

Back