A New and Different Project

driller

El Presidente
Staff member
I have decided my next project is the transformation of our Town Car. It is a 2006 Designer edition. My favorite pic from the past...

DSC01815.JPG

Big and bold - the goal of the project is to basically make it a bit stealthy, somewhat more powerful and otherwise a true 'sleeper' that could be in contention for the title of "Hot Rod Lincoln". :cool:

For appearances, I'd like to 'darken' the overall picture; delete some chrome, smoke the headlamps and tail lamps and de-badge all but the Lincoln star emblems. The dark limo tint already in place adds to the theme.

Suspension upgrades include heavier sway bars and replacement control arms with performance shocks. Big deep-dish black wheels, staggered if possible but not too big so as to trade off performance. I'm thinking of lowering it somewhat but again not so much as to be a detriment to handling. (That is if there is such a thing as handling and performance in a Town Car.)

Drivetrain modifications include the obligatory stall converter, J-mod, transmission cooler and aluminum driveshaft to transfer the power to the built limited slip differential with a set of 3.73 gears. I'd like to add a differential cooler as well.

A true dual exhaust with headers, compact catalytic converters and tunable mufflers would replace the stock exhaust setup.

The 4.6 SOHC engine - here's where the fun begins. I'm torn between a naturally aspirated head/cam/intake swap, a low-boost intercooled positive displacement supercharger or a turbo setup. Besides budget considerations, there's pros and cons for all the choices. Imagine sitting at a stop light and you see a big black Town Car pull along beside you but you then become distracted and confused by the distinctively lopey deep-bass cam at idle; or unmistakable whine of an Eaton blower or perhaps the recognizable whistle of the turbo spooling just as the light turn green...

and as fast as it appeared, it's gone. :fart

I'm not looking to make the big Lincoln a track car, just something fun to drive when you want it to be fun or just something comfortable on those occasional long drives. One of the cars of choice to take to the neighborhood convenience mart or the car of choice to take on an interstate trip to visit family. When it is all said and done, it will likely still be a daily driver. :)

The purpose of this thread is to discuss options and keep me motivated. It is not going to start anytime soon and it will likely take months to be anywhere near complete. There is no time schedule but I was thinking it would be beneficial to have a goal in mind.

Hmmm... 2017 Power Tour Town Car??? :confused:

Back