My Former School...

That might be more appropriate for high school kids, but I mean if the kids were learning whats the problem? It sounds like the jars stayed closed, I don't see the issue.

Were they human embryos?

Yes, as well as a human fetus... :err-what?:

I think the place has likely gone downhill since you left. ;)

In so, so many ways... :frown:

No one plays live jazz in the mornings as kids/teachers come into the building. :D
No one plays dance music at completely insane volume levels in between classes to help facilitate complete pandemonium in the hallways. :D
No one actually teaches the kids how to read music anymore. :(
No one takes 1st graders creeping around the building while armed with a sousaphone to try and scare classrooms full of 7th & 8th graders. :D and occasionally the lunch ladies... :D

The rule of thumb used to be, if it wasn't something I would do... it must be pretty crazy... cause I used to get in trouble for all sorts of stuff... :D

Even I wouldn't have done something like that without signed permission slips, that town as a whole is full of crazy, crazy, crazy, did I mention, crazy people... :(

The video has changed, I wish I could find both of them...

:D -J

Gosh, I can't remember back that far to what 5th grade science was like, but there may have been some students who would be too emotional to deal with that. I think at the least they should have let parents know and sign a release statement.

Of course, I used to sign every release sent home to me, and thought they were stupid at the time, lol.

I remember going on a filed trip in grade school to some sort of science museum and we saw embryos in a jar. I turned out ok, what is the big deal. Those parents are morons; would they rather have their kids believe babies are brought by the stork? The kids of those parents are the ones who will become teenage parents or have STDs because their kids are uneducated about the real world and how nature works.

Those parents are morons; would they rather have their kids believe babies are brought by the stork?

Parents that believe that some things are best taught by involved parents rather than by a bureaucrat run school system are not morons.

I remember going on a field trip to the stockyards in Chicago back then, where we saw cattle slaughtered. Now that could be traumatic. :(

What you are forgetting is that most parents don't get involved (at least here). My wife and volunteered at my sons schools until they went to college. Many teachers told us they wished more parent would be as involved in our sons educations as we were.

No I'm not forgetting that. Parents that are complaining are very much involved.

I haven't taken a position here on if the parents are right or not, just that what they have done or said does not make them morons.

Last edited:
OK.
I don't think they are morons either, but if they were involved they would have known what was going on. I understand in todays world it is hard to keep track of you kids 24/7, but to many people use our schools for daycare and then complain the teachers are not doing there job. Maybe the teacher was wrong??? It is just to easy to complain after the fact.
I do hope these parents that are upset are very much involved.

Parents that believe that some things are best taught by involved parents rather than by a bureaucrat run school system are not morons.

I remember going on a field trip to the stockyards in Chicago back then, where we saw cattle slaughtered. Now that could be traumatic. :(

When I went to school the only thing the parents could have you op out of was sex ed.

If we let every parent have a say about what is taught it will be the kids that loose. Parents over reacting about fetuses in a jar for a 5th grade science class are morons. As is today’s media thinking this is newsworthy and blowing it out of proportion. In the on air news report it was mentioned that a lot of kids said they liked the presentation and found it interesting. That is a good thing.

"Statement from Dr. Mary Ellen Johnson, Superintendent of Schools:

I am aware of the concerns resulting from a science lesson at the Forestdale School in a fifth grade classroom. I have looked into the situation and determined that a fifth grade teacher invited a guest speaker, a Pathologist Assistant, to the classroom for a study on cells. Prior to the lesson, the students had developed a list of their own questions on cell development. The guest speaker did share examples of cell development from a scientific background. The children viewed slides of lung tissue, brain, skin, kidneys and spleen. They also viewed specimens of zygote and embryo development with a focus on the development of tissues to organs. They also viewed heart, liver and appendix tissues. The guest speaker spoke about her own experience in school and how this influenced her decision to become a pathologist assistant."

We need more people and teachers like this to get kids interested in science, the US once the envy of the world in education now is no longer even near the top.

Hey, all of that is great and it sounds like a great school and curriculum. I just don't think the parents need to be called morons for caring. Just saying. :)

Over protective parents again. It's no wonder our schools are falling behind in the world.

I would agree with this. It only takes one over reaction for it to become a huge situation. Lawsuits are probably already being filed..... :wink:

As is the sad trend these days. Parents seem to have schools and superintendents walking on eggshells. Here's an odd question: What happens when someone goes into med school, at the cost of thousands and thousands of dollars to one's family, then realizes they can't stomach the graphic gruesomeness of the medical field?

(Told you it was odd.)

Anyways, in my opinion, the only concern should be over the formaldehyde risk, if any. Not the material being shown. Even when I was in 7th grade (1994), no one needed a permission slip to dissect a sheep eye. Ah, the good ol' days. :D

Might I add, Dr. Badsax, my life is as dull as the lives of the kids without being able to party with ya. (sniff)

Hey, all of that is great and it sounds like a great school and curriculum. I just don't think the parents need to be called morons for caring. Just saying. :)

I would agree with this. It only takes one over reaction for it to become a huge situation. Lawsuits are probably already being filed..... :wink:

Your right, it is wrong to call them morons, however if any did file a lawsuit i will retract that, lol :D

That is what I was getting at, back when I was in school we did not have any of this crap that seams to go on today. We can't dissect a frog because it will offend someone. We can't give a kid an "F" today because it will hurt their self esteem, so let's pass them all. My kid does not have all "As" so he has ADD or something else let me drug them or it must be the teachers fault.
I would hate to be an educator today.

I have an uncle who is a year older then me. In 6th grade science they had some movie they were watching, so part of it showed an operation on a dog that had its chest open with a beating heart. He ran out into the hall and lost his lunch. My grandmother laugh about it and told him to get over it. We all laugh about it now. Today the parents would call the principal; they would send the kid to counseling, any movies like that would be band, etc...

As is the sad trend these days. Parents seem to have schools and superintendents walking on eggshells. Here's an odd question: What happens when someone goes into med school, at the cost of thousands and thousands of dollars to one's family, then realizes they can't stomach the graphic gruesomeness of the medical field?

(Told you it was odd.)

Anyways, in my opinion, the only concern should be over the formaldehyde risk, if any. Not the material being shown. Even when I was in 7th grade (1994), no one needed a permission slip to dissect a sheep eye. Ah, the good ol' days. :D

Might I add, Dr. Badsax, my life is as dull as the lives of the kids without being able to party with ya. (sniff)

I'm also reminded of watching videos in high school biology of human reproduction: conception to childbirth. It wouldn't surprise me even to see CGI genitals censored. And heaven forbid they show a vagina during childbirth. (The one I saw was soooo hairy! ICK!!)

Back