7.9 Was The Magic Number Today

mlschultz

Registered
After all the drama snapping the 113" serp belt at SSHS9, slicing the blower oil drain hose when the belt snapped, Aric having to loan me the dip stick tube from his t-bird because Ford no longer sells a dip stick tube for a Mark VIII due to another oil drip, replacing the speedo gear, etc., The Mark went racing today, and did purdy good too! :cool:

Check out the time slips - car 23, and the 7.9 runs. I did real good all day until I lined up against a rail on electronics that could dial in any time he wanted. He treed my ass to boot, but I gave him a good run at least and he took me at the line. :) The first round had me up against a fender racer that broke out lol. Great day!

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/brainerd-11-21-09_720885.htm

004.JPG

new%20camera%20028.JPG

new%20camera%20100.JPG

new%20camera%20051.JPG

Congrats Mike! :)

Glad you got it back to the track. That's smokin' times for the 1/8th in a Mark VIII. Especially a Gen2! LOL :D

Thanks JP. lol :) It was real nice to go to the track and run the car so consistently. Never been able to do that before. This was charity event - draggin for toys, and there was a lot of nicely built cars there, so breakdowns were at a minimum.

The time slips are in order from left to right, and the only driver difference was the first pass was on a pro tree - lol I was not asleep, and the second pass, I stalled the torque converter to 2300 rpms. The other three passes were off idle, on the normal tree.

The rules were a little different for the classes I found out. I originally signed up for heads up, pro tree, quick street (street car on drag radials), but that turned out to be the class all the 6 second trailer queens were in, so I changed to the bracket class. They were giving me crap for changing class, but I argued that I drove my street car a 100 miles to race it, and all the others in the class with their q16 race fuel and such came in on trailers. What kind of street cars do that? lol :)

Thanks, Norm! :)

I plan to hit the track again in the next couple weeks. Going to have my buddy Jason see if he can wire up and conceal a shift light inside the left a/c vent next to the message center display. If not, I may take a stab at it myself :eek:

That hopefully will get me consistently manual shifting at 6500 rpms, and keep me off the rev limiter. :)

Thanks. :) I have never had a auto shift tune in this car that did everything I wanted to do since the new motor was put in. Right now with the manual shift tune, the car behaves/drives like a 6 speed - at least it feels like it is going through the motions of a 6 speed trans.

I have it set up to lock up the torque converter at 3k rpm in 2nd, and 3rd gear. So it goes 1, 2, lock, 3, lock, OD. I obviously only manually do the 1, 2, 3, od shifting, but have to time my shifts by either shifting before or after 3k rpm.

Otherwise, I get an unpleasant double shift like feel, because the triple disc torque converter switches on and off as hard as the transmission shifts.

This tune is the real deal though. There is no "passing" gear - kick down, other than the tc unlocking when going WOT from a roll from whatever gear I am in. The trans will stay in the gear I select until I move it to another gear. This is also true for the overdrive. I can start from a standing 0mph start in 3rd gear with od on. Not a good thing for the trans, but I have done it - and then promptly kicked myself! :eek:

Back