No start problem / caused by traction control ?

supercab78

Registered
I'm trying to diagnose an intermitent start problem.there were two times last winter when I backed the car into my snowy driveway, the tires would spin which activated the TC right before I put in park and shut it down. Thinking back I think the TC light was on upon shut down. The next morning the car wouldn't start. Waited awhile and tried again, still no start. It cranked the engine both times but no start. I disconnected the battery for 30 minutes or so and then it started. The second time this happened, same deal but upon cranking I noticed the dash read out said " TC activated ". I had to disconnect the battery again to start it. Now this month it has acted up on me twice on the cold mornings. Alhough it started up after cranking on the starter for awhile. Once again it said " TC activated ". The first two times in the snow I thought maybe it was my fault for shutting it off to soon after spinning the tires. But these last two that wouldn't be the case. If it wasn't for the read out I would tend to think it's a fuel pump. Has anyone heard of this problem with the Traction Control?

A guess: the rear calipers are stuck closed due to the TC activation and the engine shut off before the TC had a chance to release its fiendish hold on them.

A shot in the dark...

Could be an electrical issue, check the battery first and alternator just to rule them out.

I'd say crank/cam sensor issue is more likely than a traction control issue. I have never heard of Traction control not allowing the car to start.

I'd say crank/cam sensor issue is more likely than a traction control issue. I have never heard of Traction control not allowing the car to start.

Same here, but a low voltage issues can cause strange electrical behavior.
Like you said the crank/cam sensors are another place to look.

You're right...now that I think about it, I realize how idiotic my post sounds.

Crank sensor? I didn't think of that one, do they act up intermittently? I don't think it's battery. It's about 2 years old which does not mean alot sometimes I know. When my last battery was going bad my first sign was the car lost driver settings each time it was started. If it gets bad enough to were I am able to track it down I'll be sure to repost the findings here. Thanks

Crank sensor? I didn't think of that one, do they act up intermittently? I don't think it's battery. It's about 2 years old which does not mean alot sometimes I know. When my last battery was going bad my first sign was the car lost driver settings each time it was started. If it gets bad enough to were I am able to track it down I'll be sure to repost the findings here. Thanks

It isn't so much the sensor itself as the connector. Grime and oxidation slowly open the contacts between the connectors. A slight wiggling of the connector is a good short term solution. A good cleaning and use of dielectric grease works long term.

Wayne, I took a look at the sensor and it doesn't look like much can go bad since it's inside the housing. When I get a chance I'll clean it and dielectric grease it. Thanks for the idea!

Back