Posi-Rear End

Sapperfire

Registered
im wondering how difficult it would be to make a 93 Mark Viii full posi rear end yet still keep it with the indep-rear susspension... any suggestions?

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.304 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Ford calls them "traction-lok". They are readily available for the 8.8" IRS.

Here is a few links to a couple on feebay...lol
This is what you need along with a rebuild kit, whatever size gear set you want, and don't forget to replace the IRS axle seals on the sides of the IRS unit.
Any Ford 8.8 rebuild kit should come with carrier clutch plates, shims, bearings etc needed for the technician to do a proper rebuild of the unit....hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/28-S...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-8-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm still learning as well: Can the carriers be installed without pulling the ring and pinion gears? Also on the Ford Racing website, there are also the Auburn HD and the Torsen T2 available, as well as carbon fiber Traction-Lok rebuild kits. Do any of these have much advantage over the plain-jane Ford limited-slip in everyday street driving of an N/A Mark?

I'm still learning as well: Can the carriers be installed without pulling the ring and pinion gears?

No, as a matter of fact, the ring gear is bolted to the differential.

Also on the Ford Racing website, there are also the Auburn HD and the Torsen T2 available, as well as carbon fiber Traction-Lok rebuild kits. Do any of these have much advantage over the plain-jane Ford limited-slip in everyday street driving of an N/A Mark?

Not really. My 1st traction-lok lasted a couple years with hundreds of passes at the track in my '93. It should last many years for a DD application.

since im rather new to owning a Mark 8, and ive yet to slide up under it and look, what gears are standard in the 93 ? --and if they arent 3/73 , would putting some of those in my car knock out alot of my top end?

You should have 3.09:1 gears, I'd imagine. I don't think anyone who has replaced them with 3.73s has regretted it for a second. :)

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

ask trixie she has 373's in her 98....I drove it some at SSHS9 and it was pretty nice

No, as a matter of fact, the ring gear is bolted to the differential.

Not really. My 1st traction-lok lasted a couple years with hundreds of passes at the track in my '93. It should last many years for a DD application.

+1...just stay away from the Eatons. I've got one and it makes groaning noises no matter what fluids I put in the case.

Back