SSHS9 Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout 9

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

did anyone happen to get any pics ot the 2 door impala that was in the car show????? if so could u possibilly post them .....I meant to snap one but didn't .I've told several ppl about it but cannot show them .
thanks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

did anyone happen to get any pics ot the 2 door impala that was in the car show????? if so could u possibilly post them .....I meant to snap one but didn't .I've told several ppl about it but cannot show them .
thanks

That was an awesome car and very nice people who owned it. If you're waiting for Sax to post pics, don't hold your breath. :p

as an avid drag racer, I look forward to seeing what ET's the cars ran, and the consistency.

JP...help a brother out here man!

Well, all I can say is the car was a lot better than the driver. :eek:

On Friday nite T&T - the timeslips...

R/T - 0.087 / 0.057 / 0.041 / 0.062 / 0.145 / 0.119
60' - 2.062 / 1.967 / 1.947 / 1.970 / 1.984 / 1.961
330' - 5.748 / 5.670 / 5.640 / 5.635 / 5.723 / 5.768
1/8 - 8.792 / 8.723 / 8.695 / 8.689 / 8.786 / 8.844
mph - 82.25 / 80.91 / 81.25 / 81.39 / 80.76 / 80.70
1000' - 11.449 / 11.373 / 11.335 / 11.328 / 11.489
1/4 - 13.680 / 13.603 / 13.589 / 13.549 / 13.667 /13.714
MPH 101.68 / 101.64 / 101.38 / 102.00 / 101.61 / 101.87

Notes: The first run was leaving from idle. Unsatisfied with the short times, I went back to stalling the converter slightly at the launch. That did bring the 60' time back to the 1.9s.

I left the track after 11PM and was back at the gate at 7:30AM. :)

The morning time trials...

R/T - 0.101 / 0.153 / 0.008 / -0.010
60' - 1.956 / 1.996 / 1.996 / 1.970
330' - 5.584 / 5.660 / 5.649 / 5.680
1/8 - 8.627 / 8.706 / 8.678 / 8.730
mph - 81.05 / 81.04 / 81.97 / 78.640
1000' - 11.260 / 11.342 / 11.298 / 11.387
1/4 - 13.472 / 13.565 / 13.511 / 13.615
MPH - 102.41 / 101.94 / 102.38 / 101.90

I studied the time slips and decided on a dial in of 13.50. After lunch, eliminations started and it was evident the track was faster as several racers were breaking out, but I kept the dial in the same and decided to play it out at the end of the track as needed.

The first round...

Car - 824 / 794(me)
Dial - 13.28 / 13.50
R/T - -0.031 / 0.054
60' - 2.072 / 1.931
330' - 5.711 / 5.618
1/8 - 8.701 / 8.619
mph - 82.50 / 82.79
1000' - 11.284 / 11.216
1/4 - 13.458 / 13.405
MPH - 104.20 / 103.48

Once I realized the opponent had red lighted, I decided to run all out and test the car and see if it would breakout.

It did, and I decided to move the dial-in to 13.40.

Second round...

Car - 811 / 794(me)
Dial - 13.00 / 13.40
R/T - 0.056 / -0.199
60' - 1.962 / 1.932
330' - 5.583 / 5.557
1/8 - 8.875 / 8.588
mph - 70.92 / 81.19
1000' - 12.007 / 11.222
1/4 - 14.765 / 13.431
MPH - 80.29 / 102.74

For whatever reason, I was out of sync with the lights and knew it from the moment I stabbed the throttle. Even before the red light had come on, I was cognizant I had screwed up and successfully eliminated myself.

But the fun part of SSHS is the consolation prize. If you lose and get eliminated from the competition, you can simply line up in the 'run all day' lanes and have all the fun you want for the remainder of the event. You can beat on the car and relieve your frustrations (which is what I do) or you can sulk back to the pits and enjoy being a spectator. :)

So did Joe get new wheels for his caddy?

Yes :D

Ok, SSHS9 rocked!!!

A few thoughts about the trip and event... :D

Total mileage round trip 2597 and there was even an award for longest distance driven, which I totally won, :D which was funny, at least to me, because I spend the whole weekend joking about how there better be a award for my 1200+ mile drive down there, having no idea that there was one, and being nowhere near the trophy area when they were giving them out, thank you Sharon for calling me and telling me to come accept my award... :D

As for the drive... I can't remember if I mentioned that I have this issue with deer... yeah... um, probably right up there with my hatred for flying is my fear of hitting a deer... (Sharon can tell you all about picking me up at the airport after a flight... I'm tons fun)

So of course as I make my way south, the number of deer seems to increase. (Perhaps deer like to live where people don't...) Ok, the number doesn't seem to increase, there are #%&*@$! deer everywhere... and for a while they seem to be little deer, so I at least take solace in the thought that with a little deer, I mean, how much damage could hitting one of those really do when your only traveling at 80...

Lest the trip down not be filled with enough deer fun to satiate my appetite for highway carnage and intense scanning of the sides of the road, we did of course have to return north... I've often joked that the deer and the fog and the State Police work together as a team in Pennsylvania. Those Pennsylvania deer are mere amateurs. There were so many deer on the way back JP likened it to, and oh yes... I quote... "driving through a slaughter house"... I myself felt more like it was driving through a Jackson Pollock painting that had been commissioned by Steven King...

Also, the deer continued to increase in size...

Then it happened... one of these clearly genetically altered giant Volkswagen size deer tried to kill JP and Tammie.

I think I saw the deer a fraction of a second after JP. I caught a flash of angry devil rabid deer from the left side of JP's Navigator's headlights, and instinctively swerved into the left lane. JP driving like a Navigator Ninja rollin' on 24"s moved left at the same time trailer and all. I thought "$#@&"... I saw the same angry devil rabid deer from the right side of the Navigator's headlights. It was so close I couldn't tell if they had collided or not, but I could read the bumper sticker on the back of the deer... "Guns Don't Kill People, I Kill People"... Suddenly deer hunting made all the sense in the world to me... As the deer continued on, foiled in it's plan to take it's own life, and that of a perfectly good Lincoln Navigator, I focused my attention back to said Navigator realizing that I'm once again still directly behind it, and hoping that the trailer doesn't start rocking after that physics defying lane change. Yet, without any further drama from the trailer, we both moved back into the right hand lane.

I still hate deer... :mad:

Drag racing is a blast... :D
If you've never done it, you should. If I can do it, anyone can do it... :D
The hotels were all literally right next to track, I don't think anyone had more then a 2 minute ride, and even that was only if you hit the stoplights when they were red. The Marauder clan and Impala club were a blast to hang with. On a personal note, I was disappointed with the moonshine... I was expecting it to really have much more of a kick... but that not withstanding the partying was fun.

Friday racing under the lights was a blast, I got a good rhythm going.

Get beer from cooler
Drive to staging lanes
Drink beer, wait to race
Race
Get beer from cooler

This system proved invaluable on Sat, as who knows how much time I would have wasted without it.

Sat was the big day, and after looking for a party Friday night (any party would due) there was not a living soul out who wasn't riding in my car by about 12:30 - 1AM... So here I am at the track Sat morning, before 8, it's freezing cold, like mid 30's cold... there is dense fog that was clearly there for the sole purpose of hiding gigantic killer deer, and the waiting began. Once through the gate and into the pits, we picked a spot, waited more (I had of course started drinking), the staging lanes were opened, more waiting... and the finally race time baby. (test and tune time actually)

So the real racing begins, and while I do wish I had my MK8, the Saxmobile did make a lot of people smile. Sure they might have been saying, "is he really going to race that thing"... and "isn't that car front wheel drive?"... but I didn't care, I wasn't going for fast (because I'm not fast) I was going for comfort... :D

1st race, won it... :D
I had a 15.90 dial in and ran a 15.936...
R/T .141 (I'm no Sharon)
MPH a blistering 87.56

2nd race... not so lucky... :mad:
It was only the second time in the two days of racing that I spun the tires off the line and that did me in...
15.90 dial in, ran a 16.060
The guy who raced me had a 16.01 dial in and ran a 16.112

He also beat Sharon in the 5th round and actually won for our class...
I would like to think that if there hadn't been any wheel spin I would have taken him in the second round and then obviously won the class myself... :D

I also had a chance to race JP twice :D

My very 1st run (there is video of this somewhere) on Friday night
JP is in the left lane, I'm in the right...
R/T .087 - .659 (I literally thought to myself 'he seems to be leaving, I better hit the gas')
1/4 13.680 - 15.996
MPH 101.68 - 87.33

My second JP encounter...
JP is again in the left lane, I'm in the right
R/T .358 - .197 (who was asleep that time huh :D )
1/4 13.635 - 16.064
MPH 102.35 - 86.71

All and all, I got 8 runs in on Friday night and another 10 in on Sat :D

My best R/T was .047 (Sharon territory)
Best 1/4 was 15.856
Fastest MPH was 88.55

So Sat night... perhaps this had been too built up in my mind. I mean, I know how "WE" party, and lets be honest, LOD set's the bar pretty high... :D Yes there were burnouts, and impressive ones, but there was not nearly the amount of complete beer and gasoline and moonshine infused chaos I was expecting. This was surprising since people had brought extra tires just for Saturday night, and we were hanging out with the club that so badly damaged the parking lot of 'a different' hotel, that the club was charged $4000 for the lot to be resurfaced... (that right there sounds like my kinda' partying) As the evening seemed to be reaching a tipping point of either potential insanity (what I was hoping for) or mellowing out (what wound up happening) I thought I would try tip the scales in my favor and with the help of Trixis8 did what I thought was a very respectable burnout... alas, the police eventually rolled through, caused everyone to laugh at them, and the night wore on into melancholy drinking in the cold. There was only one additional burnout that we could identify the next day.

This was a great event, I had an absolute blast, thanks again to Mike, JP and Tammie, and Sharon and Mike...

And now here are some PICS!!! :D :D :D

The whole album --> http://rides.webshots.com/album/575611600ikrrSO

:D -J

Did anyone leave tire marks to resemble the epicness that is The Driller-stache? It's looking better and better, John! Keep up the good work.

(Oh, and the car stuff looks neat, too.) :D

one of those impala guys.............think that was right before Trixie put on her smoke show courtsey of Badsax.

Sax that pic of me and you makes me look like I got a big ole melon head!!! had a great time meeting u guys and gals

Then it happened... one of these clearly genetically altered giant Volkswagen size deer tried to kill JP and Tammie.

I think I saw the deer a fraction of a second after JP. I caught a flash of angry devil rabid deer from the left side of JP's Navigator's headlights, and instinctively swerved into the left lane. JP driving like a Navigator Ninja rollin' on 24"s moved left at the same time trailer and all. I thought "$#@&"... I saw the same angry devil rabid deer from the right side of the Navigator's headlights. It was so close I couldn't tell if they had collided or not, but I could read the bumper sticker on the back of the deer... "Guns Don't Kill People, I Kill People"... Suddenly deer hunting made all the sense in the world to me... As the deer continued on, foiled in it's plan to take it's own life, and that of a perfectly good Lincoln Navigator, I focused my attention back to said Navigator realizing that I'm once again still directly behind it, and hoping that the trailer doesn't start rocking after that physics defying lane change. Yet, without any further drama from the trailer, we both moved back into the right hand lane.

I had almost forgotten about that encounter! Now you have dredged up the nightmares again. :eek:

The lane change maneuver was pure instinct. I have this constant radar that allows me to know where the quickest escape path lies at any moment. In a fraction of a second after noticing the monster deer literally just standing in the roadway, I was mid stream of an extremely quick Nascar-like lane change to the left when my mind caught up and signaled RED ALERT - you are pulling a trailer! It was actually too late as I had completed the move without even lifting the throttle (and was actually still wondering if we had missed the deer) and was waiting for the consequences of the trailer when I realized we were indeed unscathed and the trailer was still straight behind us. My next immediate thought was that of Joe in the Caddy behind us (whom most of the time you couldn't tell if he was there or not since he was 'glued' to the backdraft of the Navigator/Mark VIII combo). But I could see his headlights back through the rearview mirror looking through the Mark VIII and presumed he had snuck past the potentially catastrophic road block as well.

I was wholly impressed with the handling of the lumbering SUV rolling at highway speeds on 24s pulling a loaded trailer.

By the way, I still have to find the right soundtrack to put to the movie of the Saxillac and post it up on YouTube. :D

Great pictures, Joe! Glad you enjoyed yourself :) Even though I did not race, I had fun watching all the Lincolns run, and your beautiful Caddysax when I had the chance. Hope to see you all next year! :)

Back