Driller's New Jersey Nightmare (DUW)

DLF

Registered
So.......

JP came to my garage this weekend to:

1. Have me install the Delrin IRS Bushings that he had purchased from me earlier this year.

2. Upgrade to Cobra hubs and rotors F&R.

3. Install twin-piston PBR front calipers.

4. Install Stainless brake lines F&R.

5. Install Koni shocks in the rear.

A fairly straight forward list of tasks......and we got started @ 11:30 a.m. on Saturday. (FYI - The time on my camera was 12 hours off as I screwed up the AM/PM setting, so subtract 12 hours from the time stamps).

After removing the wheels and tires, the rear shocks, lowering the exhaust and removing the knuckles and half-shafts, we encountered PROBLEM #1.

The rear LCA nuts wouldn't come off! :eek:

Not using my 600 lb.ft. 1/2" IR 2131 Ultra Duty Air Gun with my 80 gallon IR 120 p.s.i. compressor. :confused:

Not using doubled combination wrenches. :(

Not after heating the nuts with a propane torch. :eek:

Not using a 5' long 1-1/2" black pipe for leverage on a 12" pipe wrench. :mad:

Driller finally had to use my air grinder to grind away the nuts! Luckily, he knew someone who has a stash of MN-12/FN-10 suspension bolts. :wink:

Attachments

• HPIM0952.jpg
    HPIM0952.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0951.jpg
    HPIM0951.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0953.jpg
    HPIM0953.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The work continued....

I installed the Delrin bushings in Driller's LCA's and we proceeded to reinstall the LCA's, new half-shafts, and Knuckles.

Then, we encountered PROBLEM #2.

Driller had purchased a re-drilled set of hubs in a rebuilt set of knuckles. Unfortunately, the bolt circle wasn't 4.5"! :mad-tilt:

It was close, but it was obvious when we attempted to install the new rear Cobra sized rotors, that it was a real lousy job!

We decided to call it a night, and start again in the morning.

So.... On Sunday morning we removed the knuckles that we had installed, pressed out the re-drilled hubs, pressed in a used set of Cobra hubs (luckily, Driller knew someone with a used set in stock and a 20 ton press ;)), and reinstalled the knuckles.

Attachments

• HPIM0954.jpg
    HPIM0954.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0956.jpg
    HPIM0956.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 1
I put Driller to work filing his rear caliper brackets to clear the Cobra rotors and started working on installing his new front calipers and the stainless steel brake lines, when I encountered PROBLEM #3. :eek:

The rear hard line fittings that connect to the stock brakes lines were so corroded, that I was afraid that attempting to remove them would break the lines (the line started to twist).

Unfortunately, we had to reuse the stock rear brake lines. Luckily, the front hard line fittings were not as corroded and I was able to install the stainless lines with the PBR calipers.

Attachments

• HPIM0955.jpg
    HPIM0955.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0960.jpg
    HPIM0960.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The rest of the work was completed with a minimum of issues.

Greased the Delrin bushings.

Bled the brakes.

Installed his new wheels and tires.

Installed the Koni rear shocks.

Discovered a leak in the rear air bags, and replaced an o-ring.

Driller packed up and proceeded to leave, when we encountered PROBLEM #4.

His windshield wipers didn't work! :rolleyes:

After a couple of hours diagnosing the problem, and even attempting to hot-wire the wiper motor, it appeared that the wiper motor was dead.

So Driller applied a coat of Rain-X, and set out into the night for the 6 hour drive home. Luckily the rain was ending as he left.

Hopefully, he'll make it home sometime shortly after midnight tonight, safe and sound. :)

Attachments

• HPIM0962.jpg
    HPIM0962.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0965.jpg
    HPIM0965.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Must have been a fun drive...breaking in a new braking system on wet roads...white knuckle driving, right JP?

Hopefully he leaves his BB in the center console and concentrates on the road ;)

Good work as always. I hate rust.

Here's a couple of more pics of the "Blue Flame" with it's new shoes.

Attachments

• HPIM0963.jpg
    HPIM0963.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • HPIM0964.jpg
    HPIM0964.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
Lots of nice work going on there :cool:
I should have you check out my rear suspension, when I hit bumps around curves the rear end slides side to side. A fast inspection of the sway bar looked ok.

Lots of nice work going on there :cool:
I should have you check out my rear suspension, when I hit bumps around curves the rear end slides side to side. A fast inspection of the sway bar looked ok.

Sure, come on down....

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.296 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0)

Doug, you're the best! :)

(I'll let everyone just guess what you're best at!) ;)

Good night!

Last edited:
Throw in cheeseburgers, fries and a few beers.. and you have the perfect weekend!
Nice work you two.

looking good! Hey I noticed that you have a direct lift. I was looking at getting a direct lift pro park 9 plus with at least one center jack this spring. Which one do you have and what do you think of it?

Throw in cheeseburgers, fries and a few beers.. and you have the perfect weekend!
Nice work you two.

Pizza, Coke, and a nice breakfast @ Perkins (thanks Driller).

Not quite perfect, but certainly interesting. :cool:

looking good! Hey I noticed that you have a direct lift. I was looking at getting a direct lift pro park 9 plus with at least one center jack this spring. Which one do you have and what do you think of it?

Mine is a Pro Park 7 and I wouldn't be without it. Other than 1 loose hydraulic fitting that took a while to find, I haven't had any issues, and I'd buy it again.

I also have 2 Pro Jack 3500 sliding jacks that are an absolute necessity.

Attachments

• HPIM0949.jpg
    HPIM0949.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
Wow. Your lift is shiny new clean. Mine looks like crap. Of course mine is 6 years old. If you tell me yours is that old, I'm a dirty derelict.

Back