Home Events Forums Lincoln Technology Rides Merchandise

Click here to join the club!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mysterious malfunction

Thanks

I would install a cheap used known-good multifunction switch.
    we know the wipers are controlled through this part
    we know the lights are wired through this part(hi/lo beams/passing beams)
    that is the ONLY "correlation" those two "functions" share in a mechanical part

just my 5 cents

my 94 lost brake lights one day...
    bulbs = good
    BOO switch = good
    CHMSL = worked....
    but the outer brake lights did not.

turned out to be the MF switch....the brake lights are wired through that switch because of the HAZARDS.

Just give it a shot and see

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackIceLSC For This Useful Post:

driller (04-22-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,833 Times in 1,001 Posts

I finally got time to revisit this.

I studied the manual and EVTM diagrams. Logic told me what most likely happened was the cowl drains plugged and the wiper motor got flooded shorting it out. I could see some leaves and debris through the cowl vent.

I discarded the pages of diagnostics in the manual along with the dealer's diagnosis of an internal short in the wiper motor, a shorted out multi-function switch and a short in the lighting control module. I ordered a wiper motor from NAPA (since I get a company discount there and it appears only reman units are available anyways).

After disconnecting the battery, I removed the wiper arms and cowl covers and then proceeded to remove the cowl assembly to access the wiper motor assembly. I noted during disassembly it did not appear to have ever been disassembled before and even the harness plug (which was external to the cowl assembly) did not appear to have been recently disconnected. I did find the drains plugged and a distinctive 'high water mark' in the cowl assembly and on the wiper motor.

I replaced the wiper motor, cleaned everything up and reassembled it all. I plugged in the fuse for the wiper module and reconnected the battery.

My theory evidently was correct as the wipers now function as they should. I hope the reman wiper motor lasts. It wasn't that particularly difficult of a repair, just a PITA to gain access to actually remove and replace the wiper motor.

I suppose what irks me is the dealer diagnosis. I was somewhat confident not all 3 components would simultaneously fail. My guess is replacing the wiper motor, multifunction switch and lighting control module would cover all the probable failure points... at my expense. If I were to be cynical, I guess they could've just replaced the wiper motor and charged me for all three?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to driller For This Useful Post:

tixer (06-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,646 Times in 981 Posts

Great follow-up, JP. And great troubleshooting..

I'm glad you got 'er all fixed up. It's interesting that the dealership "detected a short in the wiper motor" but failed to do anything about it..
    Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
    2001 Dodge Dakota

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tixer View Post
    It's interesting that the dealership "detected a short in the wiper motor" but failed to do anything about it..
    I'm beginning to wonder about the local dealership. I've bought a few vehicles over the years from them and used their parts/service department before with minimal complaints.

However, a couple years ago or more, they were bought by a growing auto group that owns several dealerships of various makes around the area. They recently have moved to a new facility in a upscale retail development on the other side of town. I noted after the move their shop rates went up fairly significantly and that's understandable I suppose. I just hope their service department retains my trust going forward.

Thanks

I doubt the mechanics saw any of that up change. The experience in the shop might be on a decline due to that.

Glad you got er fixed, there is a special sense of accomplishment when troubleshooting and finding the issue.
    Eric
    -00 Suburban LT (The Tow'er)
    -97 Mark VIII Base (The Row'er)
    -95 Mark VIII LSC (The Go'er)
    -14 Model T touring (The Show'er)
    -Rebuilding the T

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lvnmarks View Post
    ... there is a special sense of accomplishment when troubleshooting and finding the issue.
    Definitely.

Along with the knowledge it was done right and all the parts were cleaned proper prior to reassembly (even though the rest of the engine compartment was dirty ).

Thanks

Most shops are just part changers today. The don't troubleshoot, not profitable. Most people rather have them change the parts then to spend a few hours chasing down the root cause and geting charged $100/hr for the labor then have to pay for the fix.