Idle Problems

jseitz3887

Registered
I have a '98
The problem started when the car was cold and would go away as it warmed up.
As I turn the key it has no problem turning over and starting but as soon as it does the routine rev up the rpm's fall and the car dies. The only way to drive it was to two foot it. No CEL. I changed the spark plugs and looked at the idle control valve. After the change for the first day the car ran as it should. Now the problem is back worse than before. It wants to die even after the car warms up. The other wierd thing about it is that as you are driving along at any speed if you take your foot off of the accelerator it feels like there is a load, or drag, on the engine. I just don't have enough knowledge about these cars to do a more in depth troubleshooting. I'm an airplane man myself. If you guys and gals could use your vast knowledge to point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

:confused:

Thanks

You say you "looked at the idle control valve." Did you replace it? Also, have you ever replaced the fuel filter?

"if you take your foot off of the accelerator it feels like there is a load, or drag, on the engine." This may sound odd but is the parking brake releasing when you put the car in gear?

Last edited:
I had been doing research on these forums, markviii.org, or lvc and found a post about the icv where if you pull the plug while the engine is idling the rpms should drop if it is good. The rpms dropped. i also took it off and looked at it. Not much you can see so I really have no idea if it is good or not. There is no sticker that says if it is good or bad.
The fuel filter has been replaced.
And I don't really use the parking break very much ( not many inclines where I drive) but when I do I hear the thunk of it releasing.

You've been to the other sites, now you're on the best! Replace the idle control valve, it's cheap and easy, that should solve your problem.

Back