97 HID replacement bulb or retrofit kit.

Those wont work on the housings. I only see the 900X kits and used bulbs and ballasts. All those cheap 20 dollar - 50 dollar kits fit base's like: H1, H3, H4(low), 9003(low) ,HB2(low) , H6(low), H6m(low), H7, H8, H9, H10, 9145, H11, H13(low), 9008 (Low), 880/881 (All 800 series), 9004(low), HB1(Low), 9005, HB3, 9006, HB4, 9007(low), HB5 (Low), D2S, D2R

Wirelessly posted (Leo's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

That link for the conversion kit... has anyone here installed this? Good to know for future reference.

Wirelessly posted (Leo's iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

That link for the conversion kit... has anyone here installed this? Good to know for future reference.

I have purchased two conversion kits. The first had a bad ballast ( I think I was just unlucky)so I purchased another kit, everything is working fine. I just wish my friend did not talk me into 8000k bulbs, Way to blue!

I know one kit came from hid-solutions on ebay, but not sure if these are the same people as the link above.

The link i posted is a guy that made the 9500 adapter for the headlight housing. Im buying a used bulb from mad1stgen but i think im going to try and fabricate a 9500 - 9005 style bulb so we can just use the plate and buy one of those 50 dollar 9005 style hid kits from ebay. Would you guys think there would be a market for said adapter plate?

The link i posted is a guy that made the 9500 adapter for the headlight housing. Im buying a used bulb from mad1stgen but i think im going to try and fabricate a 9500 - 9005 style bulb so we can just use the plate and buy one of those 50 dollar 9005 style hid kits from ebay. Would you guys think there would be a market for said adapter plate?

Maybe, but I was easily able to make the bulbs fit using a pair of wire cutters to modify the locking plate.

i just installed an aftermarket hid kit in a customers 97. i bought a 50 dollar 9005 base kit and used aluminum rings with the right hole in the center and the 3 screw holes that held in the factory bulb. its easy to make your own, you could even use plastic, its easy and worked like a charm. i installed 5000k bulbs and the light actually looked like the stocks, just more light coming out. this is old news though, tons of people have made their own adapter rings / plates to hold an aftermarket hib bulb into the 97-98 housings. we are going to machine a bunch out of 1/8 inch aluminum plate that i cut at work, and machine them in the bridgeport in my shop when i have some free time, i'll be selling them cheap so 2nd gen owners can be done with the headlight issues for good!

Thats exactly what I was going to do :D

To fix this... :(
192243.jpg

192312.jpg

...we are going to machine a bunch out of 1/8 inch aluminum plate that i cut at work, and machine them in the bridgeport in my shop when i have some free time, i'll be selling them cheap so 2nd gen owners can be done with the headlight issues for good!

OK, so do i understand right that you'll be making adapters for a different bulb to fit our 2nd Gens? Will a different ballast be needed? This is a great idea and a sure seller. I'll buy a set right away because I have this feeling I'm due any day now.

OK, so do i understand right that you'll be making adapters for a different bulb to fit our 2nd Gens? Will a different ballast be needed? This is a great idea and a sure seller. I'll buy a set right away because I have this feeling I'm due any day now.

The new HID kit will come with ballasts and all the wiring, not to mention bulbs! Most kits on eBay do.

also beware not to get bulbs that are blue in color, they are illegal in most states and what is the brighter bulb? The higher or lower number? I'd like to brighten mine up

6,000k is pure white with a hint of blue. The higher you go kelven wise the less light it puts out. 5,000 is the brightest. At 3,000 kelvin its almost yellow and below that is standard hallogen!

Getting a temp close to sunlight will give the best light for seeing. That is anywhere between 5000 and 6000 K, but closer to 5000, and 5000k will have a color rendering index of 100 as well.

All true, as I said I bought 8000k and they are very blue!! I let a friend talk me into them and I'm very sorry i did. I'm going to replace them with 6000k bulbs.

Getting a temp close to sunlight will give the best light for seeing. That is anywhere between 5000 and 6000 K, but closer to 5000, and 5000k will have a color rendering index of 100 as well.

True, but human eyes see the color blue the best in low-light conditions. Hence the reason why the OEMs lean on the high side of the color scale. 8000K is definitely too high, but 6000K is just right...just enough blue for the eyes. This is also why the little lights on life vests are blue...rescuers in the sky will spot you from farther away. The vests themselves are orange...the color most visible to human eyes in daylight conditions.

Last edited:
Back