Trying to find source of small oil leak???

Fife

Registered
My 1994 has had a small engine oil leak for some time. I noticed a spot on the floor the other day so it must be getting a little worse. It is in the area of the oil filter; probably in front of it but not sure (everything within six inches or so of the area around the oil filter has a light coating of oil on it). It looks like there is an oil pressure sending unit in the area and not sure what other parts and fittings are there that might leak. I am about 99.9% sure it is not a loose oil filter.

Thought I would check with LOD members to see if anyone else has had an oil leak in the area and what the problem was. Last night I sprayed the area with brake parts cleaner and am going to check it again tonight when I get home from work.

I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks, Fife

Very common problem. Sounds like the oil filter adaptor gasket which goes between the block and the oil filter adaptor plate. If you let it go, wont be long and you'll be lelaving a quart of oil on the floor wherever you start it up cold. If you dont want or cant fix it now, keep an eye on it. Its not a major repair, just a pain in the rear. Both oil and coolant flow thru it and the bolts are a bit tough to get to. I'm pretty sure this is covered in the FAQ's. Search is your friend.

The oil pressure sensor is prone to leak with age as well.

Wipe it down and recheck often to try to pinpoint the source.

I just did the oil filter adapter gasket a couple weeks ago. Did the thermostat at the same time. The cuts on my hand and arm from the rusty factory hose clamps are still healing. Fun times.

I still have a small leak though. Just a real tiny drip. I think an oil or power steering line might be bad. Might be the sending unit too.

I have been searching for this leak for a while...cleaned area up and let the wife drive the car for a couple of days. Then when I noticed a drop of oil on the garage floor, I jacked it up, got a light, and inspected the area around the oil filter. (Did this two times). There is a little oil here and there...not really any on the front side of the oil filter adapter or on the oil filter...(cannot see the back side). I could see one of the adapter mounting bolts and part of the mating surfaces between the block and adapter. No oil here...pretty dry. I have not been able to identify the source. I guess I will have to wait for the leak to get worse. Any other ideas on what it might be or how to locate the source of the leak.

Thanks,
Fife

I watched the car start up this morning and the leak is coming from the oil filter adapter. Are there any directions for the gasket replacement on LOD? I didn't find any. Also, on one of the other Mark VIII sites I did find a procedure. The guy stated that two 10mm wobble sockets were required (one 3/8" and one 1/4"). I have been unable to locate wobble sockets. Where can you get wobble sockets? Can one use wobble extensions or adapters instead for this job? Anyone done this job and what tools would you recommend? Thanks, Fife

I just a used 1/4 inch U joint on the socket. A wobble socket would be good too. I buy my tools at Sears.

Jack up the car (use jackstands) and take the wheel off. Look in at the the adaptor bolts from the wheel well. You will see where you can have the best access from there. I forget where exactly, but you'll be able to see it and figure it out.

It's a bit fiddley, but it's not rocket science.

I have been getting my parts rounded up. Is it necessary to change the oil when doing this repair? I just changed the oil yesterday and I didn't have time to replace the gasket. If so, I will wait for the next oil change to do the work. The leak is only bad when it is extremely cold or the car sits for a day or so. If it is driven regularly, nothing leaks out on start up.

Thanks, Fife

Back