T/C?

Sapperfire

Registered
Sitting at a red light or doing 60, if i try to accelorate rapidly it feels like theres a huge loss of torque, the RPMs will go up but doesnt deliver to the rear wheels to build instant speed, it used to launch off the line and now youd swear there was a 70 year old woman driving a buick.
i had this problem a few days ago and them my fuel pump went out, i replaced that with a salvage pump and the car runs
it will build speed, but seems to shift a bit rough into each gear, even if i turn the OD off
no such thing as a burn out now, it just puts away and gradually builds speed, any ideas?

The rpms build up but doesn't accelerate? More likely slippage in the tranny than a torque converter problem.

With OD off, try pulling out from 1st at WOT, then compare to pulling out from 2nd at WOT.

Did you change your fuel filter as recommended on any pump change? Is your salvage pump up to snuff. To verify you need to check the fuel pressure both at idle and under power.

Most if not all autos will do that. I start off in 2nd in snow and ice.

The older hydraulic-shift transmissions (AOD) would start in 1st when the selector was in 2nd. I believe all the newer electronic-shift transmissions will command 2nd gear when the selector is in 2nd.

i'll put my money on a bad salvaged fuel pump. a weak pump will cause what you are stating, specially the no burn out part, i just had a customers 98 in my shop for a no power problem, like a hesitation, checked fuel pressure, was 17 psi, put a walboro 255 pump in it and instant tire shredder, car runs like a scolded dog now! i'd buy a new pump the hell with used pumps.

The older hydraulic-shift transmissions (AOD) would start in 1st when the selector was in 2nd. I believe all the newer electronic-shift transmissions will command 2nd gear when the selector is in 2nd.

I can't say about old Fords, but on the older GM autos on cars i had that were non-electronic if you put the transmission in second gear, it will never downshift or upshift out of second, even from a complete stop.

ok im thinking i have a bad pump now, when we tested the pressure at idle it was 42, but tonight i was driving home from a party/fight and i had NO acceleration, it was coasting at WOT, then it died, i got it started on first attempt and then everything was fine, guess ill be dropping the tank again as soon as i get it home, didnt have time to build the trap door under the back seat :(

Hmmm...our H2 does not lock 2nd. Put it in "2" and it starts in 1st.

the mark VIII will leave in 2nd if its in 2nd. i'm going with the fuel pump though. sounds exactly like what my customers car was doing and we were stumped at first, never thought it would have been the pump but it turned out to be.

Back