Stereo with no sound questions...

iroccopz28

Registered
Hi folks, I have been reading a lot of forums where there are stereos working with no sound and I am in the same boat. However most of what I keep reading are with amps being bypassed and I'm not seeing quite whats happening with mine I don't think but I also have some curious questions that maybe dumb questions but I need to ask before I start tearing into anything.

Its a 1993 with what I was told is the JBL sound system. It had an aftermarket stereo in it that was working and then when the ipod was plugged into it one day it quit getting sound which made me think it was the head unit failed so I replaced it with another one that I had that I know works and still no sound. The fuses are good under the food and in the interior fuse panel so I am assuming it has something to do with the amp but I don't know how to test the amp to know if that is the problem.

so here are my questions I guess...

is there a fuse in the factory amp like there is with aftermarket amps that could be bad?

I know it was working before but just out of curiosity is there a specific wire that should be hooked up that I'm not seeing that turns the amp on that might not be working properly?

is it common for the amp to just quit like that? and is the only option to replace the amp? I have been seeing that some people have been getting amp bypass harnesses but seems like a lot of people are having trouble getting them to work as well so I am just frustrated at the moment and could use some advice where to start...

Thank you for any help in advance..

Back