Home Events Forums Lincoln Technology Rides Merchandise

Car of the Month
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need the right tire size for unusual setup

Thanks

The tire saga continues. The rims are fixed and they look great. Apparently the rear tires are not a very common size. They only have Nittos in stock. Over the past 2 weeks, my tire dealer has tried to get the Barums out of their other stores in California. Each time, the shops blew off shipping them and then sold them. So, my local store decided to offer me Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring tires for $20 more than the Barums. A really good deal since they actually want $175 more for them. But, they still had to order them. However, this time they are coming from the Cooper warehouse directly. I'll actually get them. And they come with a $70 rebate from Cooper. So, next week it'll be on the road. The wait turned out to worthwhile.
    Bill W

Thanks

Hi Eric
    Thanks for the offer of the spare. I think that I'm probably just going to have to live with a full sized spare sticking up into the trunk though because of where I live. I'm in Tucson. Some road trips take you miles from civilization where tires are available. If your tires die in Desert Center, you are miles from any where that you could get a replacement and a fake spare wouldn't last long enough to get you there. It's the only gas for 100+ miles and the restrooms are beyond gross, but you have little choice, but to stop there and pay a small fortune for gas. And crossing into west Texas is even worse.
    Thanks
    Bill W

Thanks
    Thanked 1,749 Times in 1,058 Posts

That's a great update on the tires, Bill I look forward to hearing your review of the CS5. I've had good luck with Cooper in the past, so I suspect you'll be pleased with them.

I absolutely get what you mean about failures in the middle of the desert. I've been fortunate on my trips through the empty parts of the western states. If that's your life though, it pays to be prepared.
    Mike Martin

1997 Mark VIII LSC 5.0
    2001 Dodge Dakota

Thanks

The tires arrived on Wednesday. I put them on yesterday. It really runs nicely and feels good except for the rear shocks. The tower is toast and so are the shocks. But, a new wrinkle has appeared. It used to slam down in the front overnight with the old tires on it. The rear stayed up. It didn't leak down while it was up in the air for 3 weeks waiting for the tires with the air ride off. Then, it didn't leak down overnight with new tires either with the air ride on. Maybe, the air ride is still good. I'm wondering if the too small mismatched front tires were the culprit. It had a 215 on one side and a 225 on the other and were much shorter than the rear ones. Was it trying to level and just couldn't get there and simply dropped as far it could trying to level something that couldn't be leveled. The new tires match almost perfectly in height in the front and rear. I'm going to wait and see if it stays stable before messing with the front end.
    It made it through the emissions test with really low numbers too.
    Bill W

Thanks
    Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,075 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 609 Posts

If the mismatched tires caused the airsprings to inflate to a different height, they might be beyond the cracks in the rubber where most leaks are.

Normally it wouldn't make a difference as the sensors measure the height of the wheel in relation to the frame, but if you have one side lower than the other, maybe that caused one to be inflated more as the rear sensor would measure a different height than it would with equal sized tires.

My 97 has leaky rear airsprings, so if the car will be sitting for a while, I open the trunk and sit on the bumper to force it to inflate higher, past the cracks (when I get off the bumper) then turn off the switch in the trunk. They leak down slower then.

Unfortunately I think we will both be replacing airsprings in the future.

Bill
    1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
    1997 White LSC 135k miles
    1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
    1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
    1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible

Thanks

You may be right about replacing bags in the future. The fronts do look almost new compared to the back ones. The back ones look definitely weathered, but the front ones are still black and shiny. I can't see any evidence of cracks in them, but they may be there. They appeared to be fully inflated when I had the wheels off. Right now everything has been very stable over the past few days. The air ride light comes on for a second when the car is started and goes out immediately. I don't know if this is normal. The last couple of times that I started it, it didn't come on except for the light check before starting. So, I'm hoping that they all will last for a good long time.
    Could trying to pump them too high to compensate for the mismatch cause leakage? Is there an over pressure relief valve on them? The back wheels were much taller (1.2 inches) than the front ones with PO's setup. Now there is 1/8 inches difference.
    Bill W

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 609 Posts

The stock parked height measured from the bottom of the wheel rim to the bottom of the fender wheel arch is 24.5" front, 24.25" rear.

I'd make sure they are adjusted properly and see what happens then.

Bill
    1994 Deep Jewel Green 183,142 miles
    1997 White LSC 135k miles
    1998 White Collectors Edition 175k
    1994 Black (#2) 100k miles
    1993 Deep Jewel Green Convertible