Always my luck (I make it myself)

Bangster

Registered
I think I know that going WOT is bad for things like cooling systems, and it never fails. My 97 Cougar had the plastic crossover intake, and I was driving it HARD (racing my wife, lame right?) and at the 1-2 gear change (JMod) I nearly spin it 360 degrees. The coolant crossover burst and laid down a nice slick of coolant for me to slip in. Removed the pressure cap, filled it with water, and limped it home 12 miles in 110 degree temps.

Fast Forward to this evening. Been babying my 97 Mark VIII, but just had to get on it and kill my mileage, so hammered it, and 1-2 shift, got nearly 180 degrees (way less coolant dumped in a longer period of time).

I have not added a drop of coolant in 18,000 miles or 3ish years of ownership, even in the heat it suffers in.

I grabbed 4 gallons of water, filled it up and left the pressure cap loose, stopped every 5 miles or so and refilled it, never got above 2,000 rpm, and babied it home.

Last few Mark VIIIs in the junk yard had brand new radiators in them, and for 40 bucks the radiators and cooling fans have been coming home with me.

Just when I thought I would have a day to myself, looks like I am cleaning up an engine and swapping in a radiator.

Back